Ragga Hip hop

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
One side is mostly cosmic-italo-disco-synth and stuff that sounds like it (most of the records I've bought of late).... The other is more on the international booty bass tip :D

But this is ruining the surprise for someone!

LOL sounds fun :)

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
it's full of new-wave love songs for a 19 year old student he's porking haha :D (in case his girlfriend reads this there is no basis in reality for my jokes. ever)

I have never seduced by mixtape... I have however gotten girls off my jock with them -- thank you Alec Empire!

nomos

Administrator
i liked poor righteous teachers. bdp always had little bits of it too. and phife a tiny bit,

there was a jamalski track i liked (1992?), can't remember the title. it might have been with krs-one. anyway, only the single was good. the album version was a bit pants.

it's interesting how the jamaican influence was pretty thoroughly weeded out of hip hop early on despite supplying the sound system/talkover model, not to mention kool herc (ja) and flash (bajan). possibly because the caribbean population was more in north bronx, brooklyn and queen's? herc has said that south bronx dancers didn't really get with reggae so he switched to funk, salsa, etc.

toronto hip hop has always had a more overt caribbean influence. kardinal offishall can be quite good.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
bellydancer kardinal offishal and neptunes
mad lion take it easy both are great.
there was that hip hop meets sly and robbie album a long long time ago but it wasn't very good.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Oh 80s NY stuff : Son Of Bazerk, I think it was J-Dubs theme and the Kings of Pressure 'Give Me The Mike', the other side of 'You Know How To Reach Us' : 'cos me come in a de dance with the spliff of sensi...'

muser

bin loads of good suggestions i checked out here, forgot about kenny dope aswell!, 'boomin in ya jeep'. enjoying the poor righteous teachers albums, some of the born jamericans is pretty dope aswell, likin that smiff & wessun track.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
it's interesting how the jamaican influence was pretty thoroughly weeded out of hip hop early on despite supplying the sound system/talkover model, not to mention kool herc (ja) and flash (bajan). possibly because the caribbean population was more in north bronx, brooklyn and queen's? herc has said that south bronx dancers didn't really get with reggae so he switched to funk, salsa, etc.

toronto hip hop has always had a more overt caribbean influence. kardinal offishall can be quite good.

I dunno, I've always thought there's been a strong give-n-take over the years, though mebbe not as overt as in Canada. Biggie tracks often throw in some patois (his mother was West Indian); Method Man too -- "What the bloodclot?" And Missy Elliott!

Caribbean flavors are a continued source of exoticism in hip hop:

Obie Trice - Jamaican Girl

She'll slit ya throat, mess around with O
She move a pound of coke, like brown with hopes
Of being close to folk, if you clown ya poked
No joke, murder she wrote, provoke me no a rotty
Be a dead body, it be that dread hotty
Me no know no one that more potty
Down on her knees, up in the party to please my body

Jamaica is a popular tourist destination for black Americans, maybe that's part of it. When I was tutoring almost all my middle class students had been there. See also: Stella getting her grove back!

There's also a slim genre of reggae pulp films aimed at the hip hop market, along the lines of straight-to-DVD rapsploitation flicks like State Property:

shottas.jpg
200px-Rudeboyjd.jpg

Reggaeton has something similar under way: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467017/

Oh, here's that compilation I was talking about:

DefJamaica.jpg

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Dancehall and hip hop go together like peanut butter and jelly, but Def Jamaica considerably spices up this perennial musical favorite. The wide-ranging and ambitious compilation showcases dancehall’s hottest names in combination with an unusual selection of American MCs, all flexing yard style over strictly hardcore riddims. And a goodly amount of stylistic diversity is presented. The first-rate "Together" teams Jamaican dub poet DYCR with the Jungle Brothers and American spoken word artists La Bruja and Black Ice, while the scratch-happy "Nah Mean" pairs Delano (of the hip hop-friendly Jamaican sound system, Renaissance Disco) with legendary turntablist crew, the X-Ecutioners. Elephant Man and Ghostface Killah match energy for energy on "Girls Callin’" but the album’s standout cut is the Tony "CD" Kelly- produced "Murda," which seamlessly combines T.O.K.’s Kingston badman lyrics with Scarface’s no-nonsense Dirty South delivery.

Again, the mixing of styles is not meant to blend; the difference is supposed to be put in stark relief -- exoticism, not hybridity.

T&T has been advertised like crazy as a tourist spot; maybe we'll see some soca influence popping up in HH soon?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
oh shit and my favourite one ever, the Sizzla/Bonecrusher bootleg of Never Scared/Solid As A Rock, Westwood banged this for about a year

zhao

there are no accidents
no worries petergun.

one of the coolest reggae influenced hiphop tunes in my mind is still that J-live number "not satisfied" which samples East of the River Nile...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Surprised that no one's mentioned Shinehead yet. "Who the cap fits" is a killer over something very like the Sleng Teng rhythm, IIRC. The album that was on was pretty good.

I also should give a dishonourable mention to Snoop for his appalling attempt at chatting on "The Chronic" - can't remember the track. It's worth listening to just 'cos it's so bad! I don't ever recall hearing any good Jamaican influenced Hip Hop off the West Coast - perhaps this reflects patterns of immigration?