there's only one ricky hatton

petergunn

plywood violin
and he's fighting Floyd Mayweather tonite...

i don't really like mayweather, but i acknowledge is he is probably the best out right now...

however, i don't put him in the best ever catagory he puts himself in, simply because he has not not had enough great fights... compared to Ali, who has Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Norton, or Sugar Ray Leonard, with Hagler, Hearns and Duran, or even De La Hoya's resume and Floyd simply has not put the work in... this fight would be a nice way to build his legacy...

for Hatton, a victory here would break him in America in a way no British fighter has (outside of Lennox Lewis)...

i like Hatton and am rooting for him... that said, the combination of Floyd's quick moving defensive style and hatton's tendency to grapple, this could be a dull fight...

i can't see hatton winning on points, floyd is too quick. however, i can see hatton's nasty body blows and inside punching taking Floyd out in the later rounds...

Lichen

I'm no fight fan, but this does have the ingredients...

mouthy showboater .vs. home-loving northern lad

bring it on!

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Unintentionally homoerotic sports pic of the week...

gyi0051087977.widec.jpg

swears

preppy-kei
Hatton's gonna get battered. I'm not patriotic, so I don't care. :p

Canoe "death" insurance fraudster man is a greater example of British ingenuity anyway.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
is this one of those stupid fights that you can't see unless you give sky money? i used to love goin to see fights in my late nigth local before they started that crap.

mos dan

fact music
is this one of those stupid fights that you can't see unless you give sky money? i used to love goin to see fights in my late nigth local before they started that crap.

i'm following it on the radio lol. don't know or care much about boxing but it's an event innit ;)

boxing on the radio. strange experience.

incidentally most interesting thing so far was the thousands of british fans booing the star spangled banner VERY loudly throughout. the americans will *not* like that i am sure. seems like a great way for the bizarrely exaggerated (in america) 'england soccer hooligan' myth to persist.

mos dan

fact music
bbc five live commentator describing hatton and mayweather after the fight had ended:

"they're talking now.. mayweather's actually kissed him.. now that's what boxing's all about"

looooooooool

mistersloane

sham ehe lost but it was inevitable. i wish boxing wasn't so expensive to watch, it's the only sport i really like. has anyone tried using that sopcast thing? looks like well dodgy stuff to me, I don't really understand watching tv on the net yet

tom pr

sham ehe lost but it was inevitable. i wish boxing wasn't so expensive to watch, it's the only sport i really like. has anyone tried using that sopcast thing? looks like well dodgy stuff to me, I don't really understand watching tv on the net yet
I always thought it looked impossible but it's surprisingly easy. I use it for footie all the time, and I believe myp2p.eu has all the info you need.

petergunn

plywood violin

it's only 15 pounds, no?

cost 55 dollars in the US...

straight

wings cru
it was the manliest night ive ahd in ages, coked up lads and lager get lairy waoorgh! i suddenly realised i actually quite enjoy bloody sports and i even sometimes sound like i know what im on about. my girlfriend almost believed i was packing some testosterone somewhere.

petergunn

plywood violin
I'm not even gonna pay to watch a top class whore for 15 quid an hour. I really resent all this pay-per-view stuff, it still comes with adverts, doesn't it?

i never watch TV, (also no TV license in the US), so if i have to pay 20 bucks or so (splitting the 55 with a couple friends) like 3 times a year to watch some fights, i have no problem with it...

at least here, there are no adverts, just the undercard and the main event, no ads inbetween, just idle chatter...

mistersloane

i never watch TV, (also no TV license in the US), so if i have to pay 20 bucks or so (splitting the 55 with a couple friends) like 3 times a year to watch some fights, i have no problem with it...

at least here, there are no adverts, just the undercard and the main event, no ads inbetween, just idle chatter...

that's cool if there's no ads, I know what you mean, I still resent paying to watch something mediated though...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does anyone else find it fascinating how two rounds of boxing can destroy a man's career? In few other arenas is one judged so harshly.

Hope he does give up though - if he doesn't the result could be horrible...

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Stating the obvious but Hatton needs to learn how to defend himself. Or remember to do it rather than losing his head and walking onto punches. Reckon he'll quit -- not much left for him now cos i can't see another shot at one of the best coming along.

What about the Mayweather vs Marquez fight scheduled for July 18th? Another big vs small but with very different styles. Check out footage from the two Pacquiao - Marquez fights -- fuckin brutal!!

And if Mayweather wins, it seems likely that he'll then fight Pacquiao before xmas which has gotta be the biggest fight for a long time :)

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Does anyone else find it fascinating how two rounds of boxing can destroy a man's career? In few other arenas is one judged so harshly.

Hope he does give up though - if he doesn't the result could be horrible...

I think it is important to point out that if Ricky Hatton retires it will be because of an insecurity that he has seen the best and will never be it. Hatton takes losses very badly too, like when he went into a depressive funk after losing to Mayweather.

He is not a poor fighter though by any stretch of the imagination, and his loss to Pacquiao does not make him one. Pacquiao is just superhuman. I hope he understands that, and continues to fight.