An open letter to Simon Reynold on his 'Brit Pop box' critique

straight

wings cru
i dont think anyone will argue, especially the guys involved in the scene. im not 'calling grime out' or anything

Last edited:
odd innit

this is something new, we agree

I promise not to break the status quo again lol :D

i dont think anyone will argue, especially the guys involved in the scene. im not 'calling grime out' or anything

I can see what you mean but no-one's obviously an overstatement. lets not subvert the thread though

dHarry - I get you but IDM influences...don't know about that. the effect pedal wash on some of OK Computer is pretty obvious imo

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

I can see where he is coming from, if you disregard the flippancy :D: while grime currently means a great deal to a lot of people in London specifically, and has planted the seeds of what it might be able to achieve in creating a cultural institution for urban-dwelling British people as a whole, in the grand scheme of things (being "big" in "britain"), this right now is clearly not the case.

lol @ the wasteguy earlier on all shocked that an African-British girl didn't know what grime is.

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
if you take the flippancy away from me theres fuck all left. I can only really judge urban music trends from what gets hammered out of phones on the bus and bassline jacked grime on that front bout a year ago. the only people to take a chance on grime up here the last few months died on their arse cos about 50 people turned up to a 600 capacity venue each week and bankrupted them (i think a few guys round here might even have been booked, logan prancehall etc). a noble idea turned into some serious debt and now theyre back punting r+b nights at the printworks

Leo

i have nothing to add except...am i the only one who cringes every time they read the title of this thread? ;)

henry s

Street Fighting Man
yeah, for one thing the initial post didn't start with a "Dear Simon,"...nor did it end with a "sincerely", or "warmest regards,"...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Buick's a good rouser of rabble...he's always pissing somebody off so he must be doing something right!