Art/Art History Books

zhao

there are no accidents
interesting articles. i'm not surprised at all. art wise US was a vacuum before the 50s, and that was not ok with the powers that be was it?

but, i would not dismiss the value of american abstraction on account of these conspiracies coming to light. maybe i have too much invested (no not monetarily) in the discourse or ideology personally... but i really dig some of pollacks work (autumn totems was it called?) and of course the field painters.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Now also accepting: film recs, particularly documentary but if you know a good biopic have at it.

pedro keppler

Giulio Carlo Argan's "Modern Art" is a good guide for understanding modern art (duh)

and "History of Italian Art", altough focused in Italy, can give a good view into all Europe's art history; from ancient to futurism.

There's also "Social History of Art and Literature", by Arnold Hauser

Michael Archer has a very good one on contemporary art. I can't find the title in English and I'm too lazy to check it in my room. Translated from portuguese it would be something like Contemporary Art, A Concise History.

Wölfflin's Principles of Art History is also great...one of the first books I've read on art.

And if you're looking for some specific aproach, Taschen has a large catalogue on artists and movements. It is not really deep, but it's a good starting point I think.

Max

Wild Horses
I would recommend Stories of Art by James Elkins.
Elkins assesses the standard text in the field, E. H. Gombrich's often revised The Story of Art, and the vision it promotes of art history as an orderly, chronological progression toward the pinnacle of art, "naturalistic skill," which the moderns then abandoned. Elkins dissects the many pitfalls of this simplistic approach, and envisions provocative alternatives, all the while musing on how to address the many tricky questions art historians confront, especially the challenge of how to integrate non-Western art into the story of Western art, and how to answer urgent questions about race, gender, sexuality, and even language itself.
From Booklist.