Congo Natty/Blackstar/Ras Project/Rebel MC/etc

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Seriously, I think Congo Natty is the greatest music ever made. I just worship at the shrine :), and yes, I think Your Love is the greatest piece of recorded music in existence as far as I'm concerned. (Hyperbole? Not sure that that isn't my default position :).) Congo Natty is primitive, flawed, bastardised... and all the better for it. The tunes just rock. I can't get enough.

Jump Up I think was an attempt to maintain the momentum of ragga jungle while making it a bit easier on the ears of the crowd at the time.

BlissMan, you MUST have Code Red somewhere!

Getting a Gift of a Congo Natty triple is just a fantastic blessing Ridley.

Fuck, I am SO pleased Kid Kameleon is on Dissensus. Selector!

ripley

I think of Jump-up as the hiphop-influenced sound that followed ragga. If it has bouncy, wubba-wubba basslines, simpler beats and hiphop samples, that's my idea of jump-up. Aphrodite 96-ish and all that Mickey Finn that sampled Wu Tang Clan.

So yeah, usually simpler beats, and often no ragga vocals at all, more hiphop flavor. "Real Hip Hop" by Flynn&Flora, "Keep it Real" on Trouble on Vinyl from 96ish.. I do have some tracks I call some "ragga jump-up" - combining simpler beats and bouncy basslines with ragga vox.

luka

yeah jump up was a bit shit really. i'd well lost interest by the time jump up started. well 90% of jungles fanbase had lost interst by that point.