soulja boy- crank that. triumph or tragedy?

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
N

nomadologist

Yeah, I really like a lot of Cashmoney stuff and no one else here seems to...

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
Sloane, you are spot on with the DUMBness of this stuff... part of what makes it so great.. More awesome dumbness from Soulja Boy, sure to make teenagers incrementally more annoying for the coming months:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hilarious! No need for argument all you need is YAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

swears

preppy-kei
Aw no, the second single and he's already doing a "Poor me, I 'm famous, leave me alone." tune. 'Spose he's having a larf with it though.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Some of that early Cash Money stuff is blinding, I regularly play 'Project Chick' to cheer myself up.

Looks like ol Soulja is going down the Ludacris route, that video made me laugh out loud.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Every household should have one copy:

B0000793WD.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Speaking of CM, anyone read Tricksta by Nik Cohn? Read some excerpts, seemed interesting...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
worth reading, but jeff chang is also worth reading on cohn.

http://www.sfbg.com/38/15/art_music_white.html

Thanks for that, though I find Chang less than totally compelling in that article (and elsewhere): he's a good writer, but two of my main gripes with him rear their heads here: 1) plays too nice -- this is basically an extended apology for a heated blog post he wrote; and 2) his version of politics is, by his own admission, still hung up on 90s multi-cult diversity quotas. After Da Capo includes more writers of color should they make sure the colors are proportional as well? Would have rather he'd talk about the merits (or lack thereof) of the writing than break down the numbers -- I can't remember anything I've read in the Source being very interesting, although I haven't read the older stuff (did read a collection of Ronin Ro's gangsta rap journalism that I didn't particularly like). And after dissing The Voice a couple times one of the examples of good hip hop writing comes from -- The Voice!

Actually, would really like the alt-Da-Capo that he posits there -- isn't he a good candidate to edit it? I think I flipped through the And It Don't Stop comp in a bookstore once, don't remember it being very interesting -- too much of the old "hip hop started in the South Bronx in the late 70s" stuff that I've read a million times. In fact, my main criticism of a lot of hip hop books, popular and academic, is that they seem pitched at novices and newcomers.

More and more I'm thinking straight textual analysis is missing the point when it comes to hip hop critique -- the genre seems to beg for some political economy to go along with it, something more complex than "shit is so co-opted now" -- it's always been a highly marketable/marketed commodity product, and it seems... incomplete to treat a lot of rap songs as objets d'arte or hip hop as an aesthetic/cultural movement divorced from commerce. Plus the rap biz is shady (just read the wiki on Lyor Cohen) -- juicy anecdotes galore!

gumdrops

dumb is fine and everything but soulja boy is faux-dumb. aspirationally dumb even. hes a dumb wannabe. im sure hes pretty thick to begin with but hes not as thick as hes trying to make out.

tom pr

Yeah, I really like a lot of Cashmoney stuff and no one else here seems to...
There seems to have been this huge swing in opinion on Cash Money in the last few years- maybe since Lil Wayne got really popular. When Stylus did their top 100 videos ever they had stuff like 'Bling Bling' on there and that never would've been the case when that stuff actually came out.

I always thought they were great- I'm not quite sure how, but Lil Wayne was adored in my prim British secondary school in 1999-2000. We hero-worshipped him like most people did Tupac, and I still reckon his first solo album is the best thing he ever did.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i agree about floops------- skream is on a mac now though right?¿? think from skreamizm 4 onwards , cleaner mixdowns, and hes kind of struggled with to come up with those insanely catchy melodies , eg dutch flowerz , tapped , smiley face, pass the red stripe etc... and i hear little sounds that are pre sets on the logic synths here and there.....not in a bait way at all , just the eqivilent of putting pepper on a good steak......

N

nomadologist

dumb is fine and everything but soulja boy is faux-dumb. aspirationally dumb even. hes a dumb wannabe. im sure hes pretty thick to begin with but hes not as thick as hes trying to make out.

it's just a song. a song made for the radio. made for people to dance to. it is not supposed to be a morality play. should it be?

i don't think the song is especially *dumb*, it just has a sort of sluggish beat and silly lyrics. imagine that!--a pop song with silly lyrics.

well i never!

N

nomadologist

the genre seems to beg for some political economy to go along with it, something more complex than "shit is so co-opted now" -- it's always been a highly marketable/marketed commodity product, and it seems... incomplete to treat a lot of rap songs as objets d'arte or hip hop as an aesthetic/cultural movement divorced from commerce. Plus the rap biz is shady (just read the wiki on Lyor Cohen) -- juicy anecdotes galore!

amen to this

N

nomadologist

haha check out this philippino prison yard full of choreographed dancing to soulja boy and mc hammer:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited: