HTML banned?!?!

zhao

there are no accidents
anyway to bring it back on topic i think it is MEGA STUPIDS to ban people. especially in a case like HTML where the alleged rudeness was always accompanied by worth-while contributions.

2 thumbs down on the decision by the mods.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Except Gek has explicitly welcomed the idea of more oppression and suffering in the hope it will lead to capitalism's demise without ever once (that I've seen) giving a clear idea of what might take its place.

I've been reading Zizek on virtue and divine terror, and the irreducible nature of terror within the revolutionary moment. Thematized in a variety of ways but mainly via the Hegelian "Fight to the death" or risking of life as moment of transformation within self-consciousness.

And Zhao- read Foucault's "The Order of Things" especially the chapter on "Man and his doubles" -- on the need for a Nietzschean "disappearance of Man" in order for thought to begin again- basically where Man=the Kantian Empirico-Transcendental doublet. Then read Deleuze on Foucault for an in depth reading of how this is achievable (the passing of Man) without falling into the trap of finitiude...

And anyway- its as much "democracy" and "human rights" embeded in the counter-conception of Man as animal-being which I despise.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
anyway to bring it back on topic i think it is MEGA STUPIDS to ban people. especially in a case like HTML where the alleged rudeness was always accompanied by worth-while contributions.

2 thumbs down on the decision by the mods.

Agreed.

vimothy

yurp
I've been reading Zizek on virtue and divine terror, and the irreducible nature of terror within the revolutionary moment. Thematized in a variety of ways but mainly via the Hegelian "Fight to the death" or risking of life as moment of transformation within self-consciousness.

What's that in?

mixed_biscuits

neither me nor Gek have all the answers (and we've had our major differences in regards to the topic), but i think what we agree on is that what has been happening on this planet during the past few hundred (or thousands if you ask me), is very, very wrong. we welcome change, as brutal as it may be. we welcome destruction, even if we are not certain of what will rise from the ruins -- because it simply means another chance.

Can't you see that all of this is so vague as to be completely useless? What kind of purchase can anyone who is not of the same vague set of mind as you or Gek supposed to find on any of this?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That's all well and good, nomadologist, but it didn't do much to answer Neol Emit's question, which is germane to the consideration of any potentially unpalatable 'truths.'
I wrote a big reply but what I had to say basically boils down to - asking questions is not the same as making statements. I know what nomad is talking about and in relation to that discussion I (almost) completely agree so it's irrelevant to say that there most likely is a genetic basis for skin colour *ducks* ;) I don't like this position that 'racism' is just a belief in the existence of races, and that that in itself is beneath contempt. All you can really say is that there are no 'races', so it is wrong to believe in them and if you do you might be in danger of falling for ideologies that would define people purely on the basis of superficial characteristics. Anything else just sounds like dogma.

zhao

there are no accidents
I don't like this position that 'racism' is just a belief in the existence of races, and that that in itself is beneath contempt.

well believing in genetic differences drawn along "racial" lines is the basis of racisim is it not?

noel emits

well believing in genetic differences drawn along "racial" lines is the basis of racisim is it not?
Really it's prejudice and discrimination that are the problem, not 'racism'. Labeling someone with a such a strongly charged pejorative such as 'racist' just because they might have an erroneous or incomplete understanding of genetics (who doesn't? - we don't have it all worked out) seems like prejudice to me.

But really my point was that asking questions is not the same as holding beliefs. Accusations of racism are thrown around too casually I think.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Well it depends what you mean by 'differences', doesn't it? Obviously there are certain physical differences like skin colour: if there weren't, the very concepf of 'race' (whether you 'believe' in it or not) would never have arisen in the first place, since we'd all look the same!

Racism arises, IMO, when people start to make generalisations of mental characteristics along racial lines. This doesn't have to be intelligence; in the past we've had racial stereotypes about personality (the 'mysically inclined' Oriental, 'untrustworthy' Arab and so on).

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

*Adopts patronising tone of voice, with slight shades of hysteria*

If you know that that was my point, then in what sense was it not clear that that was my point?

:)mad:)

I said I know that you CLAIM that was your point, not "I know that was your point." Read what I actually said, not what you assume that I said. You seem to have a problem with this--you rarely respond to what people have actually said.

It wasn't immediately clear that you were not dead earnest in calling Gek a fascist. Then you qualified your statement by claiming you were not 100% serious and only trying to demonstrate that Gek was abusing the term racist by hurling an equally "ridiculous" insult at him. This was not a particularly effective method of achieving this goal, any way you look at it.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Rubbish. American objective was clear - to end the war, preferably before the Soviets entered the Far East - and the dirty rotten yankee imperialists actually did a pretty good job of rebuilding Japan afterwards.

If you read that thread i linked to, it's clear Gek has no conception of what might come after economic and environmental meltdown (he even at one point admits a return to feudal capitalism is the most likely outcome), but would welcome it anyway. So that's tens of millions dead on the offchance something soft and fluffy might arise as a result.

Are you serious? There were several scientists at the time pointing out that we had no idea what atomic weaponry might unleash on the world, and look what it HAS unleashed--all sorts of political conflict and upheaval, not the least of which has likely been at the source of significant bloodshed.

The point that people like Gek are making is not that we should intentionally destroy millions of people (though I'd defer to Gek w/r/t what his own opinions are if he doesn't agree), the point is that the end of capitalism will invariably be extremely violent, no matter how it arises and no matter under whose auspices it is conducted.

N

nomadologist

I wrote a big reply but what I had to say basically boils down to - asking questions is not the same as making statements. I know what nomad is talking about and in relation to that discussion I (almost) completely agree so it's irrelevant to say that there most likely is a genetic basis for skin colour *ducks* ;) I don't like this position that 'racism' is just a belief in the existence of races, and that that in itself is beneath contempt. All you can really say is that there are no 'races', so it is wrong to believe in them and if you do you might be in danger of falling for ideologies that would define people purely on the basis of superficial characteristics. Anything else just sounds like dogma.

The point is not that it's racist to simply believe in races because you have your biology wrong, the point is that inherent in any belief in a biological foundation for race is the idea that races have different traits that are distinct to them on the level of a sort of biological determinism that has hideous implications. The idea that "blackness" is based on something tangible in our DNA is the same sort of thinking that, for example, guided the Nazis to conduct medical experiments on Jews, who were considered a "race" of people rather than a religious group. (Einstein had interesting things to say about this way back when, and fought the notion of the "racial" basis of Judiasm long before it became a hot topic)

Biology isn't destiny. Even if race were genetically or biologically sound as a concept, "blackness" (for example) STILL wouldn't be one-in-the-same with being born a black person. Whether you like it or not, there is a sort of insidious implication in the belief that race is biological and the only road it leads down is toward what Lacanians would call "fantasmic inflation"...

Need to sleep, more on this tomorrow...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Really it's prejudice and discrimination that are the problem, not 'racism'. Labeling someone with a such a strongly charged pejorative such as 'racist' just because they might have an erroneous or incomplete understanding of genetics (who doesn't? - we don't have it all worked out) seems like prejudice to me.

But really my point was that asking questions is not the same as holding beliefs. Accusations of racism are thrown around too casually I think.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Prejudice and discrimination are symptoms of racism, not vice versa. There is no reason to look at one race as inherently "inferior" at this or that, or as having any sort of essential and negative traits, unless you believe that a persons traits are determined by biological mechanisms and are therefore universal within that race and unavoidable/unchangeable.

crackerjack

The point that people like Gek are making is not that we should intentionally destroy millions of people (though I'd defer to Gek w/r/t what his own opinions are if he doesn't agree), the point is that the end of capitalism will invariably be extremely violent, no matter how it arises and no matter under whose auspices it is conducted.

That was not his point at all. Read the thread i linked to and ffs stop reinterpreting what people have written for your own convenience (the same goes for your utterly facile first response to the nukes bit too).

Edit: actually, that's a little unfair since the thread in question is about 25 pages long. So let me summarise. In there Gek does not say 'let's have a revolution, and if tens of millions die, well, it's all for the greater good". He says, "let's hope tens of millions die and with any luck we might get a revolution out of it. Even though we almost certainly won't, it's got to be worth the chance."

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
I said I know that you CLAIM that was your point, not "I know that was your point." Read what I actually said, not what you assume that I said. You seem to have a problem with this--you rarely respond to what people have actually said.

Ok, ok. It was not obvious to you that that was my point. I've been giving you too much credit.

NormalCurveSmall.gif

And that's all I have to say about that.

It wasn't immediately clear that you were not dead earnest in calling Gek a fascist. Then you qualified your statement by claiming you were not 100% serious and only trying to demonstrate that Gek was abusing the term racist by hurling an equally "ridiculous" insult at him. This was not a particularly effective method of achieving this goal, any way you look at it.

Actually, I think it worked quite well.

Last edited:

noel emits

I disagree wholeheartedly. Prejudice and discrimination are symptoms of racism, not vice versa. There is no reason to look at one race as inherently "inferior" at this or that, or as having any sort of essential and negative traits, unless you believe that a persons traits are determined by biological mechanisms and are therefore universal within that race and unavoidable/unchangeable.
Nonsense. People look at each other as inferior (or superior) for all sorts of reasons. People discriminate and are prejudicial for all sorts of reasons. Maybe I dislike Welsh people because a Welsh kid at school was an asshole. It doesn't mean I think there's a genetic basis for Welshness, and it would be an irrational dislike but that doesn't stop that kind of thing happening. Maybe groups of people are discriminated against because they are perceived as 'superior' and therefore a threat.

noel emits

The point is not that it's racist to simply believe in races because you have your biology wrong, the point is that inherent in any belief in a biological foundation for race is the idea that races have different traits that are distinct to them on the level of a sort of biological determinism that has hideous implications. The idea that "blackness" is based on something tangible in our DNA is the same sort of thinking that, for example, guided the Nazis to conduct medical experiments on Jews, who were considered a "race" of people rather than a religious group. (Einstein had interesting things to say about this way back when, and fought the notion of the "racial" basis of Judiasm long before it became a hot topic)

Biology isn't destiny. Even if race were genetically or biologically sound as a concept, "blackness" (for example) STILL wouldn't be one-in-the-same with being born a black person. Whether you like it or not, there is a sort of insidious implication in the belief that race is biological and the only road it leads down is toward what Lacanians would call "fantasmic inflation"...

Need to sleep, more on this tomorrow...
However problematic or taboo you find it there are in fact, statistically speaking, traits that can be attributed to populations based on DNA. I draw no conclusions from that whatsoever and realise that it would be extremely dangerous to do so but it's the bleeding truth so perhaps we can see why someone might hold that to be the case? You can't just sweep it under the rug. There's got to be a more coherent argument.

Just because a particular belief more often than not leads to unpleasant conclusions first of all doesn't necessarily make it incorrect, but it also doesn't mean that the holder of that belief has extrapolated it backwards from those hideous conclusions. Holding that all 'racists' are bad is prejudicial too in a way.

It seems inadequate to me to say that a belief in a biological basis for certain traits nearly always leads to evil actions and therefore must not be permitted. It must either be shown why this is incorrect or it must be shown why further conclusions based on that belief are illogical and potentially dangerous. If you just say 'racism' is off limits it will keep coming back.

Last edited: