Great soul LPs

matt b

Indexing all opinion
actually "headless heros" is like the unanimous choice... the record is up there w/ "Oar" by Skip Spence and "inspiration informantion" by Shuggie Otis on the record nerd collector/rock snob critic listt of "records you have not lived til you've heard"

oh well, my credibility factor collapses even further. 'headless heroes' reeks too much of hippies i think, which turns me off

stelfox

Beast of Burden
if you like rotary connection also get what colour is love by terry callier, another great charles stepney-produced album

STN

sou'wester
if you like rotary connection also get what colour is love by terry callier, another great charles stepney-produced album

Got this a while ago (sorry, forgot to mention it), largely because it has a foxy lass on the cover. Good LP.

hint

party record with a siren
Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain.

Utter classic. :)

Agreed - close to perfect for me.

458a228348a088b611c91110._AA240_.L.jpg

Same goes for the Staple Singers mentioned upthread.

Also:

64677.jpg

"Sunday and Sister Jones" is heartbreaking.

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
On the male side, check out Lou Rawls:

Black & Blue
Carryin' On [produced by Axelrod]
and Silk & Soul

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
oh well, my credibility factor collapses even further. 'headless heroes' reeks too much of hippies i think, which turns me off

I've got both and IMO Outlaw is better. A bit less self-righteous, a bit cooler, more of a sense of humour. 'Welfare City' and 'Reverend Lee' are both great tracks. And the long shouty one on Headless Heroes is just a bit too much.

He has got a wicked voice though.

One I didn't mention that is absolutely essential - Donny Hathaway Live. F&%$ing blinding record.

crackerjack

Agreed - close to perfect for me.

458a228348a088b611c91110._AA240_.L.jpg

Same goes for the Staple Singers mentioned upthread.

Also:

64677.jpg

"Sunday and Sister Jones" is heartbreaking.

Both fine records, but if you only get one Flack album get First Take - nothing compares to Compared to What.

^^ up on this definitely. 'Saturday Night Fish Fry' is the title.

There are two volumes of these - the 2nd is just called New Orleans Funk, but it's just as good.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
if you like the lush sounds of Philly soul, you'd probably also dig the stuff Charles Stepney did for the Chess/Cadet labels in the early 70's:

The Dells - Sing The Hits Of Dionne Warwicke (sic)
Minnie Riperton - Come To My Garden
Terry Callier - Occasional Rain

and of course The Rotary Connection...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Willie Hutch - The Mack
Tom Brock -I Love You More and MOre

Some great singles which may well be linked to great albums, unbeknowst to me...

Syl Johnson - Could I Be Falling in Love?
Gwen McCrae - 90% of Me Is You

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I don't know much 'soul' music but who knows about the Brute Force LP with Sonny Sharrock? That's fantastic uplifting stuff, and Sharrock rules. Out to David Toop on the recommendation on that one.

STN

sou'wester
Ordered a stack off this thread, pretty much at random and will be continuing this practice every payday.

Cheers, keep em coming!

Sonny Sharrock is a badman.