Vampire *fucking* Weekend

Woebot

They're like a wet over hyped version of Foals that couldn't get laid.

Ultra bland.

i think their wetness is the point isn't it? they're not supposed to be ruff'n'tuff and masculine. they're gentle souls with easily bruised egos.

damn shame that foals lp was so bad.

jimitheexploder

i think their wetness is the point isn't it? they're not supposed to be ruff'n'tuff and masculine. they're gentle souls with easily bruised egos.

damn shame that foals lp was so bad.

Yeah it's a part of what they do and I'm all up for some wet blanket music, I've been an indie fan for most of my life haha, but this lot come across too weak, I just can't see the fuss, the tracks are all so dull.

It was a shame about the Foals album, its pretty damn weak. But its still streets ahead of Vampire Weekend.

I can't even get into the debate about VW and class/lyrics/being ritch because their sound is so bland and non existant that it washes over me like any old shmindie by numbers. Which is a shame as I'd love to get on board with an exciting indie band again but they're getting few and far apart nowadays it seems.

Leo

i feel rather silly that i can't overcome the hype to give these guys a fair listen. people who's taste i respect seem to like them, but i just can't seem to bring myself to give VW a chance. it's utterly stupid, i know.

massrock

There was some stuff on that rough Trade mix CD that sounded really good. Like extended Remain In Light style jams. Not sure what that was, some remixes maybe.

stephenk

this is really nice!

they're a romantic bunch :)

tho' animal collective (synth kicks and general indie nouveau rave throbbiness) and dirty projectors (singing on 'i think you're a contra') have messed with their mojo a bit. and maybe even kanye (self-reflexive auto-tune on california english)

i suppose it wasn't likely they would release an lp which was more lo-fi than their debut (watch those pernicious record-company inserted engineers) - but somehow i would have liked them to have tried.

some really beautiful, almost tear-inducing moments of beauty.

i think this is mostly as great a record as their debut but the things that "messed with their mojo" are what i totally love; they're all pretty subtle experiments that don't mess with their whole vibe that much
then again, i listened to discovery lp more than pretty much everything else last year, so maybe i just wanted to hear another version of that.
also,
i like when he sings "sure of myself/sure of it now"; it's like a subdued version of kanye talking about "graduating" and makes me feel good

petergunn

plywood violin
i feel rather silly that i can't overcome the hype to give these guys a fair listen. people who's taste i respect seem to like them, but i just can't seem to bring myself to give VW a chance. it's utterly stupid, i know.

i won't give them a chance just because they're called "vampire weekend"...