late 90s tech-step

D

droid

i was absolutely consumed by hardocre/jungle fromm 91-94. so yeah, i was into it. i loved it to death. i had more kool fm tapes in my bedroom than you've ever seen in your life.
i was only 14 in 94 myself so i wasn't raving every weekend but yeah, i liked it enought ot know when it went sour put it that way.

How could anyone listening to hardcore/rave in the early 90s think it got 'too corny' when Jump up came along?

That era achieved excesses of corniness/cheesiness never heard before or since. ;)

craner

Beast of Burden
I still lived in Swansea in 1995. Very much Dreamscape/happy hardcore country. There wasn't a jungle pirate radio station scene to speak of. (Though I found a copy of 'Terminator' in a second hand record shop on St Helen's Road once! I still have it. I'm very proud of that record.)

The point is, if I'd grown up in London with all that fabulous music for free, I'd probably say the same as Luke. But we had access issues back then. You couldn't listen to London pirates on the internet. It was better like that: if you grew up in Swansea, jungle held great mystery. You hunted for scraps of it whereever you could.

Last edited:

luka

i defienyl would have heard it, thats why i asked what it is. you're supposed to go, thats the one that goes, woo ooh ooh, then has a vocal sample going, bun down babylon
and then i go
oh! that one, yeah i remember that tune, it was quite good as it goes...

and yes, hardcore was cheesy, but cheesy in a different, happier, more innocant way, not in a stupid way. i dunno, i didn't even like super sharp shooter, put it that way. that to me, and other tunes like it were the death of jungle. (in a way, even ragga jungle was a bit of a death knell, as much as i loved it, it did start to drag a bit. that thing got a bit dry with repition.)

yeah, i actually sometimes wish i grew up in a small place like swansea, just to have experinecd that. i felt envious when i lived in new zealand for a whiile cos they had that in spades. growing up in east london is good though. if i had kids they would have to grow up there or i probably wouldn't like them very much.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i defienyl would have heard it, thats why i asked what it is. you're supposed to go, thats the one that goes, woo ooh ooh, then has a vocal sample going, bun down babylon
and then i go
oh! that one, yeah i remember that tune, it was quite good as it goes...

hehe.. "I and I know that.. all of the youth, shall witness the day, that babylon shall f-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l"

D

droid

Bab-y-lon sh-all f-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l!

Just like Lukas junglist credibility rating! :D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think the concept of 'Babylon' is very interesting, seeing as it's a byword for a byword, having originally been used by early Christians as an epithet or euphemism for the Roman Empire and (to put Luka out of his misery :)) later adopted by Rastas to mean white Western civilisation.

STN

sou'wester
I think the concept of 'Babylon' is very interesting, seeing as it's a byword for a byword, having originally been used by early Christians as an epithet or euphemism for the Roman Empire and (to put Luka out of his misery :)) later adopted by Rastas to mean white Western civilisation.

Rastas frequently talk about 'Rome' too, and not always in a specifically pope-bashing context...

craner

Beast of Burden
So now there's about as much time between us and jungle as there was between jungle and punk. You old bastards.

craner

Beast of Burden
Agree with Luke, though, the jump-up stuff was quite tedious. Strangely, I have a tape I recorded in 96 on a sneaky trip to London. One side is pure jump-up, DJ Hype and Frontline records mostly...'6 million ways to die', 'Bring the Horns', 'We must unite' that kind of thing. With a really grating, dull MC. The other side is an early pre-speed garage dub-remix set of house tunes. The former now almost unlistanble, the latter lovely and prescient. I found it in my tape bag recently. (Sorry, I'm about to turn 30 and, thus, revisiting my past!)

'Future is Dark' / Redlight still gives me tingles, though.

Jump-up, though, not a good look. The mock-agressive hip hop samples are embarrasing.

craner

Beast of Burden
You think of people like Dilliinja and Hype, though, all those blokes who made amazing records in the early days, but who're still banging away at it now, with that ultra fast linear shit. Don't they get bored? Don't they look back at the effort and inspiration of their first records and think, "shit, what am I doing with my life? Catering to Australian back-packers?"

And what about people like DJ Crystal (anyone remember the fabulous 'Warpdrive'?)? What became of them? Did they settle down, have kids, get a job with HSBC?

D

droid

Yeah - like those annoying hip hop samples in 'Lighter' :rolleyes:

If anything techstep was far more guilty of this than Jump up. One of the three threads of 2-step (The others being Pulp Fiction and Mutant Jazz remix), was Elementz of Noise' abrasive steppers, chock full of aggressive hip-hop samples...

Oliver - you missed out hypes 'Freestyles of bass' and the Origin unknown remix of 'Runnins' - two of the best tunes on that LP and tracks which have definitely stood the test of time - and then theres the first 10 ganja releases, which apart from Super Sharp Shooter are almost faultless examples of glorious ruffneck jump up bass pressure.

Im sure you can argue that socially jungle had little to offer after 95 - but sonically? No way.

hucks

Your Message Here
Not forgetting, Cutslo, the remix. It was absurd - a harder, more tearin' version of Locust, from what I can remember.

Last edited: