Urban handshakes

elgato

I just dont know
When I went to Ghana the preferred gesture was a normal handshake, followed by swiftly removing the hand and clicking your fingers on the other's fingertips as you do so. I didn't even attempt this because it seems like a ridiculously white negro thing for me to do, even if I could have done it succesfully which I doubt I could. Luckily it starts off the same as a normal handshake, and if you grab the others hand firmly for a period of a few seconds or so, they realise that you aren't going to attempt the click, which saves embarressment. It did make me feel a bit like a colonial overseer at times, but I'd rather be Dr Livingstone than Tim Westwood.

hahahaha

mos dan

fact music
I knew I could always rely on you for a decent, uncomplicated, british hand shake dan :D

lol i know. 'there's ben and david, good old fashioned middle class hand shake' ;)

o/t i guess the redstar was pretty middle class really, serving tea at the bar and all. and the venue is making a comeback!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
lol i know. 'there's ben and david, good old fashioned middle class hand shake' ;)

:D

mos dan said:
o/t i guess the redstar was pretty middle class really, serving tea at the bar and all. and the venue is making a comeback!

is it really? same owners?

honestly won't feel the same unless I can pick up draw at the same time as having my cuppa

CHAOTROPIC

on account
I used to hang out with some Indonesian guys & they'd shake hands normally & then, after letting go, lift the same hand diagonally & gently touch their hearts while lowering their eyes slightly. Small extra touch but it was a really elegant little gesture. Even copied it for a bit until I realised how pretentious it looked, like those guys who take three kung-fu classes & then insist on greeting people with a kindof Oriental semi-respect bow thing like they're Bruce Lee meeting Mr Han in a secret island training fortress rather than just shaking hands like a normal person.

The thing I hate about shaking hands is when the guy closes his hand before you fully lock grips & then kindof wiggles your helpless fingers. I'm sure some people do it as a sneaky one-upmanship diss. Establishing status & all that. Never knew how to deal with it until I did it accidentally to this big Russian guy & he just stared at me, used his other hand to forcibly adjust our hands to an even position & then shook hands properly. A nicely forceful yet polite way of maintaining parity of status (I thought).

STN

sou'wester
The thing I hate about shaking hands is when the guy closes his hand before you fully lock grips & then kindof wiggles your helpless fingers. I'm sure some people do it as a sneaky one-upmanship diss. Establishing status & all that. Never knew how to deal with it until I did it accidentally to this big Russian guy & he just stared at me, used his other hand to forcibly adjust our hands to an even position & then shook hands properly. A nicely forceful yet polite way of maintaining parity of status (I thought).

Nothing says 'I'm a bit of a freak who's read a few books on bodylanguage and thus can understand you to the depth of your very soul' like handshake one-upmanship.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
so you know the one-cheek-kiss greeting with a member of the opposite sex? anyone ever mess this up in a very very dark club (say, plastic people, for example) and kind of half-get the lips, by accident? i've never felt so much like larry david - cos i couldn't explain, or make a joke out of it, because (a) she was leaving, and (b) i was in fwd>>, so that was physically impossible.

there are no firm rules for handshakes, really. it's not based on race, class, interest group or even age, just what's appropriate. i always favour a firm, patrician handshake or a straightfroward touch with people i'm just meeting or know a little. women i don't know get a nice smile and a hello or a very brief hug, depending on the situation, never air kissing or any of that nonsense - as dan has proved, it's a minefield of possible mistakes and potential embarrassment. as for men i'm well aquainted with, most of them get a good strong two-handed shake and a clap on the back, a hug or both, women a decent hug. handshaking is a bit cold and distant if you genuinely like people, i think.

swears

preppy-kei
Tiny feeble gesture whereby I slighty raise the hand hanging limply at my side by a few inches, (sort of like a wave without waving), and mumble "Alright?"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tiny feeble gesture whereby I slighty raise the hand hanging limply at my side by a few inches, (sort of like a wave without waving), and mumble "Alright?"

I hope you're doing this properly, i.e. with your thumb poking through a hole in the sleeve of your oversized jumper.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
PAGING STN! have you lost your phone, or did you not get my text message inviting you to join the finest minds in north-west london in an historic cultural setting for an evening of gormet refreshment and edifying conversation? alternatively are you just not replying because you're too embarrassed by whatever prompted that excuses thread?

STN

sou'wester
PAGING STN! have you lost your phone, or did you not get my text message inviting you to join the finest minds in north-west london in an historic cultural setting for an evening of gormet refreshment and edifying conversation? alternatively are you just not replying because you're too embarrassed by whatever prompted that excuses thread?

Um, I was bored! I was drunk!

Actually, I've only just looked at my phone... I'm locked into a Wire-watching pact but should be able to clamber down from my ivory tower for 9:30 or so...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
The palm-tickling handshake (in which one tickles the palm of the other using the middle finger) is nice and pervy.

mms

sometimes
I hope you're doing this properly, i.e. with your thumb poking through a hole in the sleeve of your oversized jumper.

Ha ha.
i shake hands or give a pound depending on who it is and who it's appropriate to, i always used to pound but it seems less appropriate now and a bit over confident too sometimes.

ladies a smile or a kiss on the cheek and a hug whatever works, as long as you don't accidentally grab a cheek which i did accidentally once when i was drunk to an inappropriate person, and still feel silly about.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
ladies a smile or a kiss on the cheek and a hug whatever works, as long as you don't accidentally grab a cheek which i did accidentally once when i was drunk to an inappropriate person, and still feel silly about.

Good job grandmas tend to be quite forgiving, eh?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
If we're talking about greetings in general, girls should NEVER EVER get the handshake at all. It's the most sexually awkward act, and the demonstrator usually comes like someone who just realized his shirt was sticking out his flies.

Liberal use of hugs and kisses for the gal dem at all times.

N

nomadologist

actually, i get the "handshake" often enough from people from whom it signifies something like "respect", and it's not awkward at all. it's a lot less awkward than being all self-conscious about gender, i would say, in a lot of cases.

maybe for certain white people it is awkward, i don't know.

i certainly don't initiate the "handshake", or make a point of calling people "cuz", but i understand why some people do. both are especially useful among a certain type of business acquaintance.