Portishead 3rd

polystyle

Thanks for that Bang
Interesting to hear the songs come on a bit in some places , cases
from when they recorded them ...

ie:
* Geof B plays drum - sample trigger pads for most the set, there is a turntable or looks like CDJ closeby but not main thing',
even plays the Machine Gun bt live, switching the effects ( which sound like an old Effectron)

* Now after viewing the live perf, hear the end of Threads as being a brother /sister to Iggy /Bowie's Mass Production intro / outro.
On the dl'ed release , didn't get this idea.

* Beth's voice sounds at times even better then on the record, and she adds parts in between her verses on a couple tunes

Nicely done video overall , like those 360 views ...

Last edited by a moderator:

polystyle

The Grower

Must have been a highlight of Coachella Fest.
Lots of fans waited close to 10 years to see Portishead again.
Get's an early vote for one of the year's top releases ,
Third puts them up there pretty high.
Pretty unusual to come back with such a string release after 10 years ...
Actually just came out here ...

Last edited by a moderator:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Definitely hear the Sabbath thing coming through. Another one people seem keen to mention is Silver Apples.. there is one track that reminds me of Oscillations a fair amount.

A couple of funny things I've read from leechers so far:

1. They're really badly ripping off The Knife.

2. Machine Gun sounds like someone's first play about in Reason.

The second one is extra funny if the drums are from an old organ drum machine! To me the track just doesn't sound at all software-y. I find it odd that people can take such a technical / formalist approach, yet be so off-track on exactly those grounds. I mean, the criticism of it sounding technically amateurish kinda suggests the critic's own lack of technical understanding?
Gear talk:

http://tv.sonicstate.com/play.php?vid=189

michael

Bring out the vacuum
"It's synth crack."

Haha, total gear wank, but I love it. Yay for the obligatory slagging of things for sounding perfect. ;)