Strictly for the Vancouver Massive

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
Good luck getting it going, Vancouver. My next trip to Vancouver is not for three months, but if there is a night to go to I'll check it out.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Cheers fldsfslmn, are you part of the Seattle contingent? A friend of mine down there says there's some sporadic nights goign on down there... true?

Dave, see you tomorrow.
Chimpy mate, don't leave us hanging!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
If you want anyone to sort you out en masse record purchases or anything like that let me know. Might be able to get you a couple of freebies as well.

It all helps.

Will you be able to play cds at your function also?

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Whatever form the function takes, it's going to be dependant on CDs! From what I've gathered from everyone and certainly from my own collection, we're a bit short on wax. ;) I've been a junglist for quite a while and while I started buying dubstep and garage around 2000, it always took a back seat in my weekly purchases. That and the fact that it simply wasn't available except online for the most part.

Where are you at that you can coordinate record purchases?

turtles

in the sea
Big up the van city grime massive!

thought i should say it was supa fun meeting you people last night and talking grime.

i'm totally powered up on grime now. more please! :D

chimpybits

Yah I'm pretty worked up myself. on top of last night's grime-orama I received Aim High Vol 2 and Risky Roadz in the post this morning. For anyone who wants to check em out I can get my hands on a projector from VI and have an evening somewhere (or alternately watch at VI or book the Clubhouse Restaurant's private upstairs area with projector and decent sound system) . Dave I'm a lil uncertain as to your email: what precedes @?

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Indeed! Maximum respect to everyone for betting that I probably wasn't an axe murderer and coming out last night! I've spent my day seriously recharged on the Grime, due in no small measure to Chimpy's amazing server of merkery.

Re. renting a projector and watching DVDs, I'm in. Boy howdy, let's do it.

Kuma, you were missed. Hopefully we can all hook up again and talk choons.

And as a final note: Danny Weed & Roll Deep - Salt Beef. AAAAAHHHH! I had forgotten how unbelieveable that tune is! Download it now!

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Ah house parties!
Gonna have to give this some thought, I kinda need the damage deposit back. :)
Do we have any ideas about whether we could pack a party with friends? I know I could throw some emails around and pull a few folks, what about the rest of ya'll?

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
i'd say i could get anywhere between 10 and 20 folks out. and brokeman: no presha at all, man. i totally understand the headaches involved in hosting these things.

Kuma

The Konspirator
Penthouse ting on Pender by the dragon gates on the edge of China town.
http://www.blim.ca

Small space but the sort of thing that would be a decent start if one were to try and do a grime/dubstep night (perhaps even kicked off by a dvd vieiwng at the beginning). I figure one could prolly ram the place out..

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Right right right, I remember now. I knew some guys who used to do a Italo Disco night there.
Haven't been there myself, but I'm up for checking it out.
I'm going to reconnect with the women I know at Lick in the Lotus Hotel where I did a night for a while last year. We get along well and they'd probably be happy to give a one-off event a chance. It's a good sized room with a nice vibe.

chimpybits

hey crew,

tanks for the props to chimpyserve! i think i'd give the edge to Lick as a venue cause its got a darker, warmer vibe. I havent been there since it was Milk - Scott used to DJ rock nights there - tho he says the sound system is crap. they do have some OK visuals worked out via projector(s). I've only seen one show at Blim. would we able to do this w/o any outlay of money on our part? I could get about 10-15 interested people. perhaps the upcoming dizzman show will help.

Also, on a separate note (thread possibilty). my biz partner and I are planning on attending the raskit show and were wondering of the possiblity of video doc-ing the show and interviewing him afterward. basically for our interest/purposes or at least without any idea of an immediate use commercial or otherwise. (tho I have been interested in getting involved with the Grime DVD market...) course i realize there are licensing issues and it would take a fair bit of prior arranging, but is this totally hare-brained? thoughts?

martyturenne

whoismikejones?
hey chimpy

second that on lick over blim. blim's great, but a bit too much of a "white cube" for this sort of music. lick's just grungy enough to work.

as for the dizzee show doc, sounds like a great idea! if you wanna get ahold of his label, i have an excellent contact with xl in montreal. e-mail me if you're interested.

Kuma

The Konspirator
*grin*

I'm all for Lick, Blim may well have been cheaper but if it can be accquired, then bring it on. Hell, it has history as the home of the city's only two step night?