Software

me

FL Studio 5.0.1 (mainly this beast)
Reason 2.5 (for its sound modules)
Kontakt 1.2.1 (sampling old vinyl and myself)
Recycle 2 (hardly every use this cos I dont really use breaks anymore)
Cubase SL 1.0.6 (gonna start implementing this more)
DVD Audio Extractor (for sampling DVD's)
Various secret BreakBeat Productions techniques and soft synths ('terrah danjah laugh ha ha haaaa' lol)

anyone use spectrasonics trilogy and proteus X in here? im thinkin of investing.

O

Omaar

I've tried trilogy, it's pretty fun, don't know if it's worth investing in. Found it on DC++, about 5 cds worth of download though.

nomos

Administrator
artdamages said:
how about mac users? i am looking for something beyond my playstation to mess around with for fun. any reccomendations?
I've been a big fan of Ableton Live for ages. It's a loop-based sequencer/DAW with excellent timstretching algorhythms. They've recently added VSTi and AU support for virtual instruments. I miss the sonic qualities of Fruity Loops, but otherwise I'm completely happy with Live. Plus, if you're too lazy to hook up a MIDI keyboard, you can assign practically any function to your ascii keyboard (loop triggers, mutes, note on/offs, etc.).

hint

party record with a siren
artdamages said:
how about mac users? i am looking for something beyond my playstation to mess around with for fun. any reccomendations?

reason - not too expensive, lots of functionality straight out of the box (sampler, synths, sequencer and effects), easy to learn... limited in it's sequencing and no audio multitracking functionality (all audio needs to be loaded in as samples)... but that's not a problem if you're going to be making building-block style music. it's as close as you can get to the old school bunch-of-boxes-wired-together way of electronic music making - so it depends whether or not you're that way inclined.

ableton live - not too expensive, really user-friendly, very powerful audio multitracking and MIDI sequencing options - can timestretch stuff to fit at the drop of a hat. you'll need to get additional plug-ins, though, if you want to use decent synths and effects.

demos of both of the above are available online if you want to try them out. hold out for reason 3 (not far off) if that's the way you want to go.

logic - it's great, but very pricey. logic pro 7 comes bundled with loads of top of the range effects and synths. it's really open-ended, but that means it's much more complicated if you're just starting out and you'll be paying for a whole load of features that you might never use.

hint

party record with a siren
oh yeah.... I forgot:

garageband - super super cheap, supports both audio recording and MIDI sequencing, comes with bundled plug-ins, but also supports the "real deal". I haven't used it, but it seems to be a really stripped-down version of logic. might be worth trying that first, since it's so cheap.

gff

i've been messing about with FLstudio for a while; I like it quite a bit but people who do their thing on "real" software will scoff at you, be warned. It runs all BuzzMachines, which is great; a lot of those things are fantasic. And I don't trust some of the FL instruments, for some reason, the 3OSX in particular. but the slicer, the granulator, timestretch, etc etc. hours of fun.

this renoise thing looks interesting (i have a 5 y/o pc that i've been doing this on, but recently got a powerbook); how does it compare to FL?

O

Omaar

gff - I'm quite a fan of FL, and have also felt that this app is frowned on by people doing 'serious' music with 'real' software. oh well.

Mike - I'm not sure I'm that happy about hamsters being trapped in cages and forced to control midi sequences! But I agree with the undertone of seriousness in your jesting - if I'm reading your right - different methods of making electronic music or interacting with computers is definitely a good idea. New interfaces can be awesome - though sometimes they seem like pretentious art wank. Anyway, a better person-machine interface would be cool - but one that doesn't exploit animals!

Having said, I actually quit liked the music generated by those hamsters, although listening to it and knowing the context fills my head with bizarre images of hamsters playing 'real' instruments, cos somehow it sounds like the kind of music they actually would play if you gave them instruments. I guess I'm projecting.

Backjob

Can I ask a really retarded question - I have a cracked copy of Ableton and therefore no manual of any sort - how do you import clips? Do they have to be in AIFF format or can they be any digital audio?

I'm a Cubase SX man myself, with a few Voxengo plug-ins (EQ, compression, limiting) , and a few VSTi's: RMIV or the inbulit LM7 for drums, and a few freeware (and occasionaly "freeware") synths.

I'm currently really inspired by Areal, Pokerflat, Trapez, Kompakt, SubStatic and a whole load of those German labels, Check out my techy minimal house shiznit at http://www.sum0fAPitch.com/choons

PM me with your critiques!