The Waterboys

faustus

i saw the waterboys with my dad about this time last year, it probably was the shittest gig i've ever been to, the atmosphere was like a darkened assembly with everyone looking uncomfortable and depressed apart from 10 or so pissed up 50-somethings shouting requests - and their music is bullshit too. rant over

DannyL

Wild Horses
Vim: You just need a smiley T shirt, a noseful of vintage MDMA, a load of dry ice and a roomful of people telling you they love you, man.

vimothy

yurp
Vim: You just need a smiley T shirt, a noseful of vintage MDMA, a load of dry ice and a roomful of people telling you they love you, man.

Best I cud do at a pinnch:

n543822236_730096_3373.jpg

swears

preppy-kei
Sorry were you under the impression we were talking about Mike Scott's group? You've never heard of the other Waterboys? God, some people!

Dunno if you're kidding, but I'm sure I remember another, totally different act who made techno or house called something similar. Mid 90s? Googled but couldn't find anything. The Waterboy, Watermen, Water's Boy, something like that.

Transpontine

history is made at night
In other news, I have been listening to Planxty's Words and Music almost constantly for the last week.

On Irish fiddle-dee-dee nothing can beat Planxty, though I prefer the original line up stuff (Cold Blow and the Rainy Night & The Well Below the Valley) to Words and Music.

Compared with this I always found the Waterboys a bit portentous and over-stated, but I love 'Fisherman's Blues', and 'And a Bang on the Ear'. Whole of the Moon gets me going too, but its one of those tracks where I can't disentangle nostalgia from criticial appreciation (i.e. would I like it now if I didn't like it then?)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
On Irish fiddle-dee-dee nothing can beat Planxty, though I prefer the original line up stuff (Cold Blow and the Rainy Night & The Well Below the Valley) to Words and Music.
The Well Below the Valley is ace, don't really know the others.

I also rather like the first Bothy Band LP for a really unpretentious take on that sort of material.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Manilla Road

Pretty sure I'd actually fight anyone who didn't like Manilla Road.

Blahblahpersonaltasteblahblahtoleranceblahblahnotesticles.

...and when the guards of hell have sentenced you to die...
remember this my friend-A WARLORD NEVER CRIIIIIIEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!