Tipping - what's your take?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I always ask if the guys doing the work get all of it and then generally leave cash. Except that Hong Kong place down the New Kent Road recently where the service was so bad that they didn't get nuffink. Shame n all cos the food was pukka.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it should work like this:

the service is amazing (singing/musical/acrobatic waiters (who are good); they know it's your birthday even though no-one in your party has told them; the owner offers you his (hot) daughter's hand in marriage) - you leave a pretty decent tip

the service is good - you leave a little something

the service is meh - you leave nothing

the service is actively shit - you demand to see the manager and give him a bollocking

ripley

In the US, restaurants get away with paying servers less than minimum wage - they are exempted from minimum wage laws, because of tipping. This means we are paying artificially low prices for food, and the rest is on the backs of the workers.

So I always tip unless the server is actively hostile (which has happened maybe once). I never tip less than 15% and my rule is 20% (different for a coffee shop where wages are different).

I hate this system, and resent that I have to make up the difference, but I account for it with the math in the first paragraph - if tipping was really just a compliment for someone going above and beyond, then my food would cost more in the first place. It's for the same reason I support minimum wage laws -I don't think people should be hostages for their bare livelihood, I think the variation in pay should come at above-subsistence level.

aMinadaB

Almost always 20% or more.
same here, always at least 20%, always. sometimes more, esp if it's a place i frequent

anything less (in the US) than 15% or 20% is eye-poppingly bad form, i'd think twice about a friend if they tipped less than that to anyone, frankly. what's the point of ethics or critical thinking or political commitment or any other human concern, if you can't happily pay the human beings waiting on you

N

nomadologist

Seconded Ripley. For these reasons I *definitely* always do 20% unless something catastrophically bad happens. Bad tippers are terrible people.

It's also best to tip in cash even if you paid with a credit or debit card, because if it's on the card it gets taxed and the servers lose some of it.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I assume most of you are Americans by the 20% figure you're quoting. I have an American friend and we have to make up his share of the tip (not even 10%) because he's such a tightwad.

I see what people are saying about making up their minimum wage but why don't we tip EVERYONE who is on low wages in the service sector?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Exactly - when was the last time you gave a bus driver a few extra pence after a particularly smooth ride home?

The whole idea is unnecessarily complicated, annoying and seemingly designed to cause awkwardness and misunderstanding, especially for visitors who may not be used to a country's, or even a city's, customs. If waiters and bar staff get paid a pittance, I'd much rather just have everything on the menu cost 20% more so they can receive a decent wage from the establishment, rather than have to curry favour from customers (whereby you risk coming across as obsequious, which I really dislike) in order to make ends meet.
Some places add a service charge to the bill, but that can just increase the confusion by making people feel like they ough to tip as well.

STN

sou'wester
I used to think the tipping in bars thing was amazingly stupid until someone pointed out to me that it makes the staff want to work on a busy time like a Friday night as they get paid more for that.

Edit: not that I wouldn't tip then, I just felt the system needed an overhaul.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Last night we were charged on the bill...which I think is a nerve. It's their job, for chrissake and not up to me to subsidise their income never mind have it done automatically. Of course I've tipped in the past many times, usually according to the service. Likewise London cabbies...who expect a tip...even though they earn bloody good money...:slanted: I'd rather tip the guy sweeping the streets at six in the morning in the rain.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that in America waiters specifically do not qualify for the minimum wage.

Yes, because it is expected they will make up the difference in tips. It's outrageous, and a totally arse-about-face way of looking at the situation.
I was in Chicago a few years ago and noticed that I was being handed $10 change (from 2 $5-dollar drinks after paying with a $20 bill, say) in a the form of a fiver and five ones, to make it easier for me to tip a dollar or two. Now fair enough, I tipped because I know how the system works over there and I don't want to look like the ignorant/tight-fisted tourist - but at the same time, I'd much rather just pay $6 for each drink but pay for them once.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Last night we were charged on the bill...which I think is a nerve. It's their job, for chrissake and not up to me to subsidise their income never mind have it done automatically.

Well then, service charge = standardised tip, so you don't have to leave anything extra unless they brought you your food on spinning plates balanced on their chins, or something. In fact if service wasn't up to scratch you're fully within your rights not to pay the service charge, but I guess most people are going to be much too polite and fuss-phobic to do that.

swears

preppy-kei
Who else tips their barber? My nan told me to always give them a quid if you're happy, so I do that. Is this normal?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I tip barbers 10% at least, and bartenders $1 per drink (sometimes I loosen up by the end of the night when I am drunk/broke). I'm still working out taxi drivers since I rarely use their services.

Tea, if you set principles for tipping, you never have to worry about awkwardness or confusion. Tipping well never hurts!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Who else tips their barber? My nan told me to always give them a quid if you're happy, so I do that. Is this normal?

I tip my barber a fiver each time, that's cos he still charges me a fiver, and everywhere else I see it's about 9 quid to get yr haircut in London now unless you go to those dodgy places. I think tipping your barber is essential, especially if you wanna go back there eh?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's always a good idea to tip with a sober tip-sitter. Set and setting are very important, so it's best not to do it in busy places with lots of people you don't know around you, especially if you're not an experienced tipper. Even if you have tipped before, be extra careful when tipping on a new substance. Instrumental music, muted lighting and the opportunity to record thoughts and feelings as they come to you can enhance the tip experience.

ripley

I think that in America waiters specifically do not qualify for the minimum wage.

do people just not read my posts? I swear I do include actual facts in them.. sheesh... or is it just that I need verification from another source?s

thanks vimothy for restating my first sentences again