disappearance of ambient/chill out rooms?

john eden

male pale and stale
well, the chill-out room is a very specific thing really and was pretty much like that at most techno/hardcore things for a good while.
it only really changed with jungle.
the idea of room 2, however, is much more interesting than the chill-out room.
after all, everyone knows that the second rooms at jungle clubs used to play US garage and thus begat 2step etc...

I think both the 2nd room and the chill out room can act as areas of experimentation and development - it's almost as if they arean afterthought which people with a bit of nouse can take over easily... similar to how it was possible to be a bit experimental on b-sides of records in some instances.

Even with trance, there was a period where chill out rooms were playing dub, which then heralded a sort of psy-trance dub genre. Admittedly it wasn't very good, but it was an interesting direction to go in. :D

zhao

there are no accidents
Vocal / disco-y / organ driven house music influenced by the music played at the Paradise Garage. Garage music, but not UK Garage. You knew that, were you being sarcastic as in 'I think you'll find it's simply Garaage music akchually!' ;)

actually i didn't. weird. i just thought paradise garage stuff was diva disco-house. and sometimes with latin elements.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i don't really understand the question zhao. you are aware of garage being a US creation, distinct from yet closely related to house, right?

vimothy

yurp
Lets be honest, the second room at Headcharge was always much better than the shit going off downstairs, squat fooking techno ;)

Neither of them were really my bag, to be honest. I much preferred standing in the corridors getting stoned.

Sheff does (or did) seem to have a pretty day-glo kind of scene. Was always great for free parties though.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Sheff does (or did) seem to have a pretty day-glo kind of scene. Was always great for free parties though.

It does - bless. We play a few of the free things cos we know the guy who does the rig, always a good time to be had and they get to hear some proper techno. The last one we did had 300 people jumping in a massive barn, it was a real buzz playing all across the spectrum until the cock after us undid 3hrs hard work by playing cock waving drillcore to his one mate.