Undeserved remakes

zhao

there are no accidents
What did I say? Don't make me get sarcastic on the incest thread...

oh yeah you said you enjoyed it. AVPR is not as hype as i thought it would be. (yes just watched since last visit)

is that a threat? what you gonna make fun of me and my sister-looking ex? you gonna give my haircut a go?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
You could easily riff on the central idea of any of those films and come up with a new story, but keeping the name of the Classic seems indefensible even on a practical level
Yeah, totally agree with this. Was thinking that remake of Seven Samurai sounds about as connected with the original as Roger Corman's good ol' Battle Beyond The Stars (which I guess was really The Magnificent Seven in space, if anything)... but it's the business of keeping the name which does piss me off... of claiming it's in any fair sense the same movie.

I guess it's completely unremarkable that it's these "classics" being remade that generates the most rage. Why would I be bothered by a shitty remake of a shitty movie?

I live in fear of Du Rififi Chez Les Hommes, a movie famous for the tension of its lengthy, near-silent central scene being pepped up a bit for modern audiences. Need some loud music! More explosions! Grade the print ridiculously so its all saturated and lush! Gah, get fucked...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I guess it's completely unremarkable that it's these "classics" being remade that generates the most rage. Why would I be bothered by a shitty remake of a shitty movie?"
With The Island which is a complete remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror (The Island is way more similar to Parts than, say, the remake of The Manchurian Candidate is to the original) they obviously thought that no-one would be bothered to the extent that they didn't bother getting any permission or acknowledging the original at all, don't understand that really, I think that they had to settle out of court in the end.
Anyone seen the remake of 3.10 To Yuma? What's that like?

crackerjack

Anyone seen the remake of 3.10 To Yuma? What's that like?

Love it.

There are some daft modernisations (incl explosions, which are completely out of place for the era) and the ending is aimed at 13-year-olds, but the acting is uniformly brilliant (dunno how much you've seen of Ben Foster, but he gives good psycho) and the dialogue's good. That'll do for me nine times out of ten