80's R'n'B/Electro-soul

craner

Beast of Burden
yeah me!

and i done curious, and the sylvia striplin has been done two or three times...

Break it to me gently, Luka Vandross!

luka

i complimented you on your exquisite taste and delicate seinsibility, what more do you want?

craner

Beast of Burden
What about Miles Jaye? This is a sweet 'let's not get divorced! for the sake of the kids! for the sake of our money!' song.

"Forget about him, and I'll forget about her." Things seem to be pretty bad in this set up. I don't fancy the odds.

drilla

This doesn't fit the topic at all, but it's close enough chronologically and production-wise, and i'm curious if anyone knows anything similar to check out. I dunno what to call it, mid-80s EBM-Pop? Moev had some similar stuff i can't find on youtube.

luka

here is everything i posted, in order mr bang diddley....(with star ratings!)

starvue-body fusion *****
cashmere-do it anyway you wanna *****
change-change of heart *****
cheryl lynn-encore *****
barbara mason-another man *****
alyson willaims - i need your loving ****
fonda rae-touch me *****
oran juice jones-the rain *****
midnight star-freak-a-zoid *****
maze-twilight *****
cameo-attack me with your love*****
evelyn champagne king-love come down *****
royal deelite-i'll be a freak for you*****
joyce simms-all in all ****
barkays-freaky behaviour*****
lisa lisa and cult jam-i wonder if i take you home *****
nocera-lets go *****
chaka khan0ain't nobody *****
junior-mama used to say ****
levert-cassanova ****
planet patrol-play at your own risk *****
shannon - let the music play *****
debbie deb-when i hear music *****
connie-funky little beat ****
suzy q-get up and do it again *****
teenie marie- i need your loving ****
p funk all stars-pumpin it up ***
freestyle-don't stop the rock *****
captain rock-the return of captain rock *****
captain rock-cosmic blast *****
isley brothers-between the sheets ****
isley brothers- footsteps in the dark ****
midnight star-the midas touch ***
midnight star-operator *****
shalamar-i can make you feel good ****
slave-watching you ****
salve-slide ***
slave-funky worm *****
jean carne-don't let it go to your head *****
freez-iou ****
klymaxx-the men all pause *****
evelyn champagne king-im in love *****
rockers revenge-walking on sunshine *****
tomtom club-genius of love *****
dr jeckyll and mr hyde-genius rap *****
carly simon- why *****
rick james-give it to me *****
c.o.d-in the bottle ****
the real thing-can you feel the force ****
joe thomas-polarizer ***
gwen guthrie-aint nothing goin g on but the rent *****
gwen guthrie-peanut butter *****
gwen guthrie-7th heaven *****
gwen guthrie-hopsctch *****
gwen maccrae-doin it *****
gwen maccrae-funky sensation *****
gwen mccrae-90% of me is you *****
joe church-i can't wait too long ***
jermaine jackson-lets get serious *****
jermain jackson and pia zadora-rain *****
lolletta holloway-love goes crash ***
sinnamon-thanks to you (someone else posted this one first) ****
carl bean-happy carefree gay *****
shalamar-in the socket ***
rose royce-love dont live here anymore ***** (1979)
aly-us-follow me*****
cece rogers-someday*****
frankie knuckles-tears*****
electrik funk-on a journey *****
firefox-street poeple ****
jones girls-nights over egypt *****
carol lynn townes-99 and a hlaf wont do *****
ollie and jerry-electric boogaloo ****
breakmachine-street dance ****
cherrelle-fragile ***
maze-joy and pain ***
keni burke-rising to the top ****
freddie jackson-rock me tonight for old times sake ****
steve arrington-feel so real *****
mary jane girls-candyman ***
maryjane girls-all night long ****
janet jackson-control ****
renee and angela-i'll be good (someone else beat me to this one too) *****
rochelle-magic man ***
alisha-baby talk ***
tashan-read my mind (someone else posted this one before me too) ***
alyson williams-sleep talk *****
mystic merlin-can't give you up***

Client Eastwood

luka, thanks for taking the time to compile the list.

stn, there quite a few cd comps with this sort of stuff. type '80's groove' into amazon or something. most them will contain some filler but there are gems to be found. the best comps are probably the original mastercuts 'classic' series which sadly are not available anymore.

from a time when boys danced with girls and not dance at the dj. my one for today, dhar braxton - jump back (set me free) dont think its been mentioned, cant find it on youtube

http://www.imeem.com/groups/sqVA72W.../dhar_braxton_jump_back_set_me_free_club_mix/

petergunn

plywood violin
here is everything i posted, in order mr bang diddley....(with star ratings!)

barkays-freaky behaviour*****

oooh, good one... do you know Sexomatic by the Bar-Kays? that is my jam...

i do have piles and piles of this stuff, but i rarely play it...

a good comp of this stuff is long overdue... it's weird as it borders on MODERN NOTHERN and ELECTRO territory (as well as disco and freestyle)...

did anyone mention Fantastic Voyage by Lakeside? anything on Solar records is a sureshot for that type of stuff... "Freakazoid" is another great Shalimar track, tho Luka is right, Rocket in the Pocket is probably better...

Jocelyn Brown - Somebody Else's Guy" is another good one...

ronnie jones "video games" is my recent fav of the genre...

luka

well i did do curious i must have just forgotten it off the list... youre just bitter cos i done it first.

theres a two cd compilation called the old skool that i quite like, it only has really obvious stuff but its no worse for that. you can cheekily downlod the mastercuts ones if you want to. dont feel too guilty... if you brought it 2nd hand no one would get royalties either.

im not sure i do know sexomatic and i cant play this game anymore me and the missus exceeded the download limit by downloading a hundred marx brothers films so i cant really use youtube.... everythings gone all slow! its sort of funny and sort of annoying.
i do know ummm, i think its called 'barkays do it'... its really good.

luka

is freakazoid shalamar? i did it but credited to someone else... midnight star i think. missy ellliot sampled it.

luka

peter gunn i saw you on another forum a mate of mine in canada reccommended. and i saw zhao too. and i saw another boy there too who does a grime blog. i didn't realise there was so much infidelity going on!

petergunn

plywood violin
is freakazoid shalamar? i did it but credited to someone else... midnight star i think. missy ellliot sampled it.

i think you are right, it is midnight star... Solar records again, the label gets me confused....

here is Sexomatic, the mp3 is flawed as i took it off a mix i made, i got no idea where the actual record is right now... so, there is chicago house ("hold these nuts") overlapping...

http://www.divshare.com/download/4326717-2d3

petergunn

plywood violin
peter gunn i saw you on another forum a mate of mine in canada reccommended. and i saw zhao too. and i saw another boy there too who does a grime blog. i didn't realise there was so much infidelity going on!

the low-bee forum?

yeah, well i DJ in NYC and people in NYC are on that forum, so posting events there actually means people come... Zhao, i think he is just addicted to the internet...

i also post on two different boston music boards (HOMETOWN REPRESENT), grimeforum.com (when i have something to say that the "kids" could give 2 shits about), dubstep forum (when i have something to say the university students could give two shits about (I DID BUY TEMPA 010 (horsepower productions) THE OTHER DAY AND IT IS AWESOME), soulstrut.com (for "cratediggers" and obsesive funk collectors, but not from an anal UK northern soul perspective (no offense)) and waxidermy (for people who collect weird ethnic records and lonely man with an acoustic guitar private press LP's...)

the scary thing is i don't even have a job hwere i am at the computer, i just do this to wind down...

luka

low-bee yeah. zhao, yeah, crickey, i couldn't beleive it... i thought he must be spending every waking hour on dissensus but no! it is only a fraction of his online activity!
it was funny to see... i don't get to use internet at work either... i'm a hospitality bod.
i dunno what name my mate uses on that forum, maybe kutcorners.

petergunn

plywood violin
low-bee yeah. zhao, yeah, crickey, i couldn't beleive it... i thought he must be spending every waking hour on dissensus but no! it is only a fraction of his online activity!
it was funny to see... i don't get to use internet at work either... i'm a hospitality bod.
i dunno what name my mate uses on that forum, maybe kutcorners.

word....

download that bar-kays thing, i am curious what you think... so far, i think you should DJ my sweet 16 party....

oh and did no one mention "don't look any furthor" by dennis edwards? the KING of this genre...