Grime and Graf

ambrose

stelfox said:
(and one of the country's leading painters is actually a metal fan who's not much into hip-hop at all, incidentally!)

i know a writer who is into metal and not much into hiphop, but i dont think he could be who yr thinkng of. on that fakin it show (he was one of the ringers) they asked him what music he was into and he just said "rock n roll" so immediately they thought he was the faker, as if!

cooper

SIZZLE said:
yeah word, that's certainly true. I wasnt trying to assert that ragga 'made' grime per se, just that I felt that Eskimo 1 was very identifiably a move of 2step further towards ragga than it had gone before (half timing, with vocals by an actual bashment artist). And yes, the versioning thing cannot be ignored, big riddims like Pied Piper getting like 8 released versions is a clear inheritance from reggae.

there were rumors at the time (that i've never heard confirmed) that eskimo was BIG in JA dances after that.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
ambrose said:
i know a writer who is into metal and not much into hiphop, but i dont think he could be who yr thinkng of. on that fakin it show (he was one of the ringers) they asked him what music he was into and he just said "rock n roll" so immediately they thought he was the faker, as if!

nah, it's not him but i saw that show. i can't actually remember the guy's name offhand; he's a friend of a friend and sells his stuff for a fortune. i'll try to find out.

cooper said:
there were rumors at the time (that i've never heard confirmed) that eskimo was BIG in JA dances after that.

that was total wishful thinking: "oh it's got a jamaican on it, must be big in jamaica". 98.7 percent of the german/japanese rhythms that "*are* dancehall don't get play in jamaican dances, so sadly not true. would be nice if it was, though.