crackerjack

Next two releases on HJ's:

Give Me Love: The Brokenhearted Of Baghdad, 1925-1929
and
Sprigs Of Time: 78s From The EMI Archive

looks like they're putting out tons of this stuff

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah the review in The Wire said the archives were massive - can't remember the exact figure but in the tens of thousands range. It surprises me there was such large audiences at that time, but that makes sense I suppose.

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure what the deal is with Mississippi Records "Tape Series", if the material is copywritten? they are in the form of the DJ mix, no stand alone songs.

there are now 9 volumes, and pretty much all excellent blues/gospel/rare rock/early music/african/etc./etc. full of gems. fun for hours. can i post them?

if not, PM me for links.

Last edited:

mateito

Yeah the review in The Wire said the archives were massive - can't remember the exact figure but in the tens of thousands range. It surprises me there was such large audiences at that time, but that makes sense I suppose.

the archive is in the region of 200 000 records, maybe a bit less (180k). not that i have been, but it's pretty mind-boggling, a bit like the british library, temperature controlled rooms, moving shelves, the whole lot!

the volumes coming out this year are going to be killer, in the meantime, that's the next six months in HJ Hq :: http://www.honestjons.com/label.php?Forthcoming=1

going back to this thread, the new Dust To Digtal "Art of Field Recording" is great too.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
this is probably too obvious a recommendation to have been mentioned in this thread but Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music plus vol 4 of same are absolutely essential----these recordings have been on constant rotation since i picked these up about a decade ago.

all the folkways field recordings of coal miner songs, appalachian songs, and whatnot, are still widely available (in the USA), and not priced for maximum rape.

i know i've got "ole time relijun", sacred harp, and shape note singer recordings, i can't think of the exact titles or the label that put them out at the mo...

oh, and the Crumb soundtrack should not be overlooked.