Freestyle/Hi-NRG night???

3 Body No Problem

yes it does in the way the 808s are played - the melodies and the lyrics are very 'catholic' half the time, very coy female sentiments, i'd say it is quite clearly latin.

I'm happy to agree that the lyrics chime with latin popular culture. But I don't get the rhythmic connection. The structure of syncopation is different. A lot of afro-latin music centres around a clave variant. Freestyle does not seem to anchor its rhythms in the same way.I adore the freestyle drums programming, and I wish I was as good at it as those producers, but it does not sound latin to me at all. I say this as somebody who has spend serious time in South America (Brazil to be sure which has a somewhat different musical tradition in comparison with the rest of that continent), and who's been quite fanatical about about music from that part of the world.

I'd go as far as saying that the Elektro/Freestyle approach to percussion is sui generis, something genuinely new, but I may just not get it.

zhao

there are no accidents
too much camp... irony overload... can't breathe... must... get...

out...

of...

thread...

alive.....

mms

sometimes
I'm happy to agree that the lyrics chime with latin popular culture. But I don't get the rhythmic connection. The structure of syncopation is different. A lot of afro-latin music centres around a clave variant. Freestyle does not seem to anchor its rhythms in the same way.I adore the freestyle drums programming, and I wish I was as good at it as those producers, but it does not sound latin to me at all. I say this as somebody who has spend serious time in South America (Brazil to be sure which has a somewhat different musical tradition in comparison with the rest of that continent), and who's been quite fanatical about about music from that part of the world.

I'd go as far as saying that the Elektro/Freestyle approach to percussion is sui generis, something genuinely new, but I may just not get it.

sure but it's not Latin music per se - it's latin music seen thru the lens of US pop and technology, in the same way that derrick may sounds african, american and futuristic - and for me the melodies are the melodies of latino pop, the same melodies you hear in reggaeton today, kinda sentimental.