sus

I thought Gus was supposed to be Craner 2.0 anyway, but Craner just isn't the type to have an apprentice.
That's right I have self adopted Craner as my inspirational dad: a lifetime of longform with zero readership. The greats are never acknowledged in their own lifetimes. Craner I love you!! Mentor me!! I can become suave I swear!!

CrowleyHead

for the record crowl thinks im a very good dad
You might v. well be but the truth is I'm not looking to follow any father beyond the one I'm already saddled with and even he is getting exhausting with how desperately he wants me to be Jr. him. Like not all of us are meant to follow in another man's footsteps.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
An amusing list by kulkarni of sacred cows, the blunt/brutal tone of his invectives reminds me somewhat of third

Sad to see our patron saints Oasis get a kicking, but console myself knowing that kulkarni is a uk hip hop fan

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
@thirdform thoughts on steve reich?

Rationally speaking, not a net benefit to music.

I enjoy some of his compositions, 6 marimbas, electric counterpoint, music for 18 musicians, but minimalism in the European classical cannon was a self-congratulatory art wank exercise. you'll never get the cyclic repetition of west African percussion ensembles

Why pursue the quest for the non-territorial and timeless?

mvuent

Void Dweller
yeah i mean it's nice that a couple tape experiments reich did in the 60s lead him to "discover" a compositional approach that, by his own later admission, had already been a thing for eons.
When he traveled to Ghana for real, nearly a decade later, he writes of his visit not as a discovery, but as “basically confirmation: that writing for acoustic instruments playing repeating patterns of a percussive nature was a viable means of making music, and had an ancient history.”
good to finally get some confirmation of this extremely esoteric idea.