Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Basic Channel and associated projects
Ha ha, good call. I was thinking of suggesting them apropos of Simon Reynold's suggestions for "I Hate..." t-shirts. Not because I hate them (in fact, I love them) but because they're such a sacred cow and they've been used as an excuse so much joyless navel-gazing under the banner of dance music. Oooh, with my vintage tape distortion I can get really lovely hiss on this dub chord. I'm like Maurizio or something, I'm going to save dance music from being predictable and boring and always using the same sounds. Go me.

Also, I applaud this move towards discussing dissensus / blogosphere sacred cows rather than just patting ourselves on the back for collectively having better taste in music than The Media. Again.

CrowleyHead

Liking this thread. How about some hiphop then...

Dre
Biggie
Eric B
Clipse
MF Doom
Krs-One
Wiley

How about J Dilla? He never got as much cred when he was alive. IMO he isn't worth all the inches.

Dre = Actually, I'd ride with this one. Those leaked songs he had a while ago with T.I. doing what was probably verses intended for Dre? Gold.

Bigge = Duh he's overrated. Tupac more so, but yeah.

Eric B. = ... People rate Eric B? I mean... Okay...?

Clipse = Really, Pharell is the only thing making these guys worth note. "Hell Hath No Fury" was like, a sonic masterpiece, but they're really shit rappers. The worst is that everyone I know agrees Pusha is the more endurable of the two, but critics act like Malice is the lyricist. What? "I'm a socialite nigga!" That's the lyricist?!?

MF Doom = I have to say, he has patchy sacred cow moments... Like, Operation Doomsday already sounds really really dated, even when compared to '88 albums. Plus, all the jocking for Danger Mouse was absurd... That album was straight trash...

KRS-One = Three good albums of material, and then a lot of shit. A Lot, I mean, A LOT.... Of shit. "Spiritually Minded", that says it all.

Wiley = Yeah... But, Wiley's nothing to do with hip-hop.

J Dilla = Possibly the most overrated artist, of the 21st century. Some great stuff, but never what the fans obsess over. Plus, dude was responsible for some of the biggest travesties in music... Namely, "Vibrant Thing", "Got 'Till It's Gone", Helping post-Prince Paul De La Soul continue their bullshit...

mms

sometimes
Dre = Actually, I'd ride with this one. Those leaked songs he had a while ago with T.I. doing what was probably verses intended for Dre? Gold.

Clipse = Really, Pharell is the only thing making these guys worth note. "Hell Hath No Fury" was like, a sonic masterpiece, but they're really shit rappers. The worst is that everyone I know agrees Pusha is the more endurable of the two, but critics act like Malice is the lyricist. What? "I'm a socialite nigga!" That's the lyricist?!?

the clipse are shit lyricists is this a joke?

CrowleyHead

@mms; The Clipse are average rappers at best. At BEST. Come on man, some of their lines are so corny, they make me want to break out Gucci Mane and thing "... At least he KNOWS he's dumb." With The Clipse, AND ESPECIALLY MALICE, I want this known, they act like their truly awful punch-lines are brilliant.

"Lights! Cameras, Action!/The chain is off, it's a damn distraction!"
"The Pyrex is Jewish!"
"In and out of houses like the Orkin man./No remorse, like an orphan, man!"

If I wanted purely retarded goons who just say fly shit, THERE'S FIFTY MILLION DUDES IN THE SOUTH DOING IT BETTER! Not a pair of Bronx dudes POSING as they're from VA...

Fuck, Pharell is nicer than they are!

@hint; All of those songs are horrible. A) You have Q-Tip selling out, blatantly. Plus, the song is about Angie Martinez..... *shudder* B) Do you REALLY, I mean, REALLY enjoy that song? C) Fact, without Prince Paul, De La are an even more commercial, more retarded version of Tribe. Except they'll fling themselves on any beat, and just 'ho' it up.

Also, I just want it said, I understand he was doing it out of love... and that J-Swift was a crackhead... But he brought Pharcyde DOWN a lot in my opinion.

I'll keep it real, J Dilla has made just as many godawful songs as he has good ones. If not more.

Also on the subject of Q-Tip being a whore and J Dilla giving him godawful beats, isn't it funny how Madlib samples "You And I", and then, after meeting Madlib, J Dilla makes a beat for Q-Tip's mind-numbingly pretentious "Kamaal" persona that lifts from "You And I"? It obviously could be coincidence, but how do we know that Q-Tip didn't find Madlib's beat tapes/cds/dats that Dilla had lying around, polish it up (IE, Ruin it) and pass it off as Jay's?

@mms; The Clipse are average rappers at best. At BEST. Come on man, some of their lines are so corny, they make me want to break out Gucci Mane and thing "... At least he KNOWS he's dumb." With The Clipse, AND ESPECIALLY MALICE, I want this known, they act like their truly awful punch-lines are brilliant.

"Lights! Cameras, Action!/The chain is off, it's a damn distraction!"
"The Pyrex is Jewish!"
"In and out of houses like the Orkin man./No remorse, like an orphan, man!"

If I wanted purely retarded goons who just say fly shit, THERE'S FIFTY MILLION DUDES IN THE SOUTH DOING IT BETTER! Not a pair of Bronx dudes POSING as they're from VA...

Fuck, Pharell is nicer than they are!

@hint; All of those songs are horrible. A) You have Q-Tip selling out, blatantly. Plus, the song is about Angie Martinez..... *shudder* B) Do you REALLY, I mean, REALLY enjoy that song? C) Fact, without Prince Paul, De La are an even more commercial, more retarded version of Tribe. Except they'll fling themselves on any beat, and just 'ho' it up.

Also, I just want it said, I understand he was doing it out of love... and that J-Swift was a crackhead... But he brought Pharcyde DOWN a lot in my opinion.

I'll keep it real, J Dilla has made just as many godawful songs as he has good ones. If not more.

Also on the subject of Q-Tip being a whore and J Dilla giving him godawful beats, isn't it funny how Madlib samples "You And I", and then, after meeting Madlib, J Dilla makes a beat for Q-Tip's mind-numbingly pretentious "Kamaal" persona that lifts from "You And I"? It obviously could be coincidence, but how do we know that Q-Tip didn't find Madlib's beat tapes/cds/dats that Dilla had lying around, polish it up (IE, Ruin it) and pass it off as Jay's?

dude are you drunk????

Cause honestly I am and I just want you to shut the fuck up right now...and please please god DO NOT DISS A DEAD MAN YOU COLD-HEARTED TASTELESS FOOL...:confused::confused::confused:

CrowleyHead

speaking of dead men.... ODB is the best rapper/singer that ever graced Earth. chewonthat

This I can agree with.

And heroesandvillians, I'm totally sober when I said every post I said. Also, I'm not 'dissing a dead man'. I'm being critical.

Death has made dude drastically overrated, one of those inevitable art things.

If Jay Dee was alive, and somehow he'd gained the fanatical following he's gained now, I'd have the same opinions. Most of my critiques have been him working with people who are currently or have been being brainless idiots, and not being nearly as good as people make it out to be.

You're drunk though, so I'm not offended or anything.

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
Wild Cows

It's odd all the defending of certain artists. The point of the thread was to call out "... the artists who can do no wrong in the eyes of music journalists" but blatantly have put out a piece of shit of two. Nothing should be scared because no artist has a perfect track record. None. The problem is when it becomes taboo to diss them i.e. a scared cow. I think CrowleyHead is getting the jist of it although the tone of his writing contradicted the fact that he was essentially agreeing with me.

Personally I dig about 90% of the artists listed in this thread. They've all just made shit at one point or another but the music press would never say otherwise. Massrock put it more succinct I guess

Defending alleged sacred cows only proves the point.

:p

Diss04

threads get mangled
I swear people act like 2Pac was the greatest and shit. If he was still alive, people would treat that guy like Flava Flav.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
For God's sake the poor thing is already terrified, I hardly think braying packs of music journalists writing biting criticisms is going to help.

I would like to thank evanbbb for that typo, I have personally been waiting for since page 1.

tom lea

hands got the bubble touch / bike with the double clutch / Two diamond jump ropes /my neck do the double dutch

gwan the clipse.