labrat

hot on the heels of love
keith Floyd ..pompous old piss artist ...

you what???

sorry, i take that back ...great raconteur ;)

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Re: Charlie Brooker, I enjoy his column from time to time, but don't bother with any of his TV pursuits as he just comes across as an utter bellend at pains to express his dislike or hate for something. Of course he does come out with some constructive stuff every now and then, but I'm not keen on someone's whole comedy shtick being negativity & finger pointing.

Not seeing the Curb Your Enthusiasm hate, that show has made me feel more second hand embarrassment than I ever thought possible (in a good way obviously).

mixed_biscuits

Brooker swears at the telly with a touch more discrimination than my flatmates do, but is no less irritating for it.

Thumbs up for Arrested Development (and 30 Rock too).

And, as a concession, Seinfeld's Jesus Fish episode.

andysays

not andy
Re: Charlie Brooker, I enjoy his column from time to time, but don't bother with any of his TV pursuits as he just comes across as an utter bellend at pains to express his dislike or hate for something. Of course he does come out with some constructive stuff every now and then, but I'm not keen on someone's whole comedy shtick being negativity & finger pointing.

Not seeing the Curb Your Enthusiasm hate, that show has made me feel more second hand embarrassment than I ever thought possible (in a good way obviously).

Exactly. How can people be saying Seinfeld are Curb are mean-spirited, but then praise Charlie Brooker? I mean I know he's supposed to be satirical and all that but the guy is practically a liberal Jeremy Clarkson.

craner

Beast of Burden
Punt and Dennis. Ha ha ha ha.

Stewart Lee is actually worse because his jokes are no better than Dennis or Punt's, but he thinks he's smarter than Lenny Bruce.

Actually, when I see Mock the Week, I want to emigrate. To Libya. All your favorite hated Radio 4/Comedy Club stand-ups pretending that their pathetic "jokes" are spontaneous witticisms. The only thing more hideous is...QI. Oh fuck, it's Fry again! Most of my friends are far funnier than all of these cunts but they don't ask me to pay them for it. They don't excpect to go on fucking TV. Lee Hurst. I used to hate Lee Hurst more than anyone else. I used to go beserk every time I saw Lee Hurst. I also have a bit of a problem with Larry Sanders.

craner

Beast of Burden
I have watched quite a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother. It's so weak and worthless that it holds a certain fascination for me. I assume that Josh Randor is related to an important CBS shareholder or Cobie Smulders is shagging the Chairman or something. There is no reason this shit should go on...and on...and yet, inexplicably, it does.

craner

Beast of Burden
No, it's not, it's a healthy release. We get bombarded with this rubbish on our Freeview channels daily and we're expected to put up with it. We hardly even mention it. I walked around for years thinking I was the only person in the world who loathed Stephen Fry. Now I discover I'm not. This is highly restorative. You're mistaking negative waves for something truly destructive like, I don't know, anti-semitism or something.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's not mean-spiritedness I object too. It's the lockdown of the bland and the smug and the stupid and the reductive. And there is something truly pathetic and poisonous about UK comedy club culture. This is where the BBC draws it talent. Which is desperate and deadening.

continuum

smugpolice
I can't watch QI. I like Stephen Fry but in QI he uses really inappropriate sexually explicit language and entendres for that type of show.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Stewart Lee is actually worse because his jokes are no better than Dennis or Punt's, but he thinks he's smarter than Lenny Bruce.

get to fuck!

i like stewart lee, but his tv stuff is pretty poor in comparison to his live act. He's no way near as smug live and does take risks re; the audience and their expectations.

so you are all wrong.

now, michael mcintyre, there's one unfunny cunt

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Frankie Boyle (a fast rising sacred cow a la Charlie Brooker i think)

If there's any current comedian undeserving of sacred cow status, it's Frankie Boyle. Sure, he's funny but he has to be the worst for regurgitating material. Between the Apollo show, Mock The Week, & his own stand up gigs, he has about half an hour of original material. The rest is just the same old shite. He's still got a place in my heart for his joke about doodles in school history books though :D

grizzleb

Would anyone else venture to admit that they generally go off things when they become popular with joe public? I like stuff that idiots haven't heard of thank you very much.