Things You've Always Wanted To Know

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Semi related - why is it so bloody hard to find fresh curry leaves? And where can I get hold of them in central / north London?

Cookery writers seem to have considered them as much of a staple as rice and flour for years now but they're almost impossible to find even in places that are pretty good for obscure herbs and spices. *grumbles*

There's a very good Indian/West Indian shop on I think Glengall Street off Kilburn High Road that does - or did (not been there for a year now) them, I couldn't tell you the real name of the shop though, we call it a nickname which is very rude - but affectionate - that I can't print here for fear of offence.

And I think last time I was in Loon Fung on Gerrard Street, Chinatown they had them there as well, I'll be up there over the next few days so I'll check and get back.

I dunno the difference between fresh and dried ones though, I don't use them that often. You can always order them from some place online, but it don't half feel weird buying spices online. Don't know why, just does.

luka

i was talking with the hong kong boys at work. i don't think it was stinky tofu. not stinky enough. they reckon there is an entire quarter of hong kong that is entirely intolerably permeated with stinky tofu stench. this stuff don't stink like that.
in fact i like it now. what i done wrong is, i ate half a jar in one sitting. do not do that. do not put entire cubes of the stuff in your mouth at one time. little bits is the way foward you're right.
then it is really quite addictive. treat it like marmite/vegemite.... scrapings....

luka

dunno about north london, but if youre ever at a west ham game you could take a sec to look round green st. they have curry leaves.
maybe check out ambala for some of those potato wadas....
thats some of my favourite things to put in my mouth.

zhao

there are no accidents
in fact i like it now. what i done wrong is, i ate half a jar in one sitting. do not do that. do not put entire cubes of the stuff in your mouth at one time. little bits is the way foward you're right.
then it is really quite addictive. treat it like marmite/vegemite.... scrapings....

it's true that people don't listen! no harm to figure things out themselves i suppose. :D

it's quite addictive isn't it. i hardly skip a meal without it (but mostly asian meals -- can't imagine with, say, lasagna... maybe should try?).

and what about the jars of chinese pickled radish and cucumber and bamboo and other similar wonderful things? you look into that stuff at all?

luka

i get easily intimiadated in the asian supermarket. i will try anything you reccomend however. the next thing on my list is the stinky tofu.

mos dan

fact music
those little booths selling phone cards/fascias/etc: what are they for, how do they make money, and are they quasi-dodgy? 'unlocking phones' - as in nicked ones, or...?

there's loads of them on kingsland road, and i don't believe there's that big a market for winnie the pooh-themed phone covers..

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
those little booths selling phone cards/fascias/etc: what are they for, how do they make money, and are they quasi-dodgy? 'unlocking phones' - as in nicked ones, or...?

The entire economy of Peckham seems to be powered by halal butcher's shops/greengrocers that also sell mobile phone paraphernalia. It's bizarre.

sufi

lala
well it goes like this:
you need to call a foreign country so you buy a card....

the cards usually sell for less than the marked price - so you buy £5 credit for £2.50 or £3, each different brand has different rates for different destinations, which are marked on posters which are usually not accurate, so you ask the vendor:
"which card for abu dhabi please" for example.
102050448_283fb6997e.jpg

the economics of the calls, as far as i know works on 'callback' technology, so the producers of the cards have virtual switchboards that connect yr call via whichever network is cheapest - i.e. cheaper to call from the US to UK than vice versa,
however,
that's not how the card producers make their money, they rake off any remaining credit when the card expires after a month, or by shutting down their switchboard after selling lots of cards which then go defunct,
zero chance of refund for the buyer as the vendor is not liable (or is liable to tell you to feck off)

so that is the only part which is at all a scam, but as the buyer of the card is losing only pence or a couple of quid max it's no bother really, especially as it's way cheaper than callshops, bt or the mobile networks,
& the other obvious advantage for the user is that you don't need any sort of an account.

thus; the card which you spent £3.50 for £5 credit giving you 110 minutes to antananarivo last week may be sold at £2.50 for the same £5 credit but only 40 minutes talktime to the same destination next week...

that is why the vendor is your best guide to where the value lies,

i have used them many many times and never had a bad card,

while it is not a transparent system, or one that is covered by any national or international laws regulations etc, it works, partly because the trade is structured in a way that removes incentives for anybody ripping off anybody else, especially at the street level where the transaction between buyer and vendor takes place,

i guess the vendors are getting the cards wholesale, on credit, sale or return, so it's an easy business to start up, i think the margin for the vendor is probably about 5p per card so overheads need to be kept to the barest minimum,
(selling poor quality accessories at sub-99p shop prices is a sideline)

(there is another slightly more dodgy version where you get a number that you call at a premium rate that is still way cheaper than standard international calls - these are apparently using hacked corporate switchboards so are very fly-by-night, but tiptop value for money. but i think reputable card vendors don't touch these)

the decor and naming of the cards are often shining and delightful examples of ephemeral carefree vernacular design - there's a 'phonecard kiosks i have known' photo essay to be produced on these tiniest most colourful businesses

?claro?

STN

sou'wester
If you have a long name that you generally shorten (like 'Daniel' or 'Elizabeth') and you're given a form to fill in, do you put your long name or your short one?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Flights I always use my full name, airport security is long enough as is. Most other stuff I use my short name. However, consistency is good whenever faceless grinding bureaucracy is going to become involved.

I could relate my absurdly boring adventures with different named bank accounts and student IDs, but it's so mundane I can't really be bothered.

zhao

there are no accidents
why something so inherently maternal (and i do hope i'm not being sexist here; don't think so, but one can never be quite so sure these days) as the breeding, birth assistance and nurturing of the young, albeit of other species, should be called husbandry.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
What is the rationale behind commercial radio station paylists? We, regretably, always have the radio on at work with either Absolute, Kiss, Heart or Capital on. Because of this I'm always hearing songs that I thought I would never hear again, for instance Evanescence's 2003 hit Bring Me to Life. Now I can understand this getting the odd play, Absolute is a rock station after all and Bring Me to Life is a rock song that also reached number one in the charts, but it's played basically every other day. It's not like they are a big band in the UK anyway, so why are they always playing it. In the case of Heart, they play Prince's 1999 on a daily basis. Again, I can understand it being played from time to time, but every single day? I know it's not the DJs who make these decisions, so who is and why?

I think FWD is having this break because of Plastic People's licence.

Last edited:

grizzleb

I was speaking to a guy at college (who I previously thought looked like an idiot) telling me about his favourite radio station (galaxy I think?) when I asked him why this was his favourite his response was that "they play the same thing every few hours".

My brain started to melt upon hearing this.

Leo

What is the rationale behind commercial radio station paylists?

my guess: most people aren't "into music" (certainly not the way we are, anyway), and have no real interest in knowing what's new or hearing songs they don't know. they use the radio as background and are only interested in hearing songs they do know.

kinda like the way i use television: i have no idea what new sitcoms or cop shows have debuted this year and not really interested in spending the time/effort to learn, but i will occasionally be happy to watch a re-run episode of "law & order" or whatever.