Inform The American 3: Influential/Early Grime releases

elgato

I just dont know
"Bushkin, Bushkin, Bushkin, Bushkin!"

I knew a girl that used to looooove Heartless Crew and she played those goddamn "Crisp Biscuit" CD's to death. She loved "Burnin". I remember when they goes sued for using it as well. I never really liked their music, their radio shows....yeah.

"Crisp Biscuit!"

LOL.

One.

my old housemate used to love Heartless, and i would often awake to hear him rinsing their classic lyrics in the shower. i think they had a vibe, anyone pinning a career on the concept "Crisp Biscuit" has got something pretty heavy going on imo!

Immryr

heartless were hilarious. even later on when they had 1xtra on a sunday they used to crease me up.

Immryr

hungry tiger is a big, big, big, big, favourite of mine. you can definitel tell it had a big influence in the sound of plastic ian's early stuff (which i also love), like print loop and shoxwave etc.

petergunn

plywood violin

can anyone inform this american what the beat is a 6:04? on some many old tapes and i have no idea what it is...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd like to eat 'Frontline' by Newham Generals, with a side order of Riko over the gee rmx of 'What'

Thanks, this is what I'm talking about! I didn't know that Skepta's "D.T.I./Pirate Station Anthem" was from 2003 and I forgot all about Donae'o and I never even mentioned Sticky's other productions.

The big problem for me came because between 2000-2002 I remembered all of these joints but I was foggy on 2003. 2004-2006 I have a damn good memory of, though. I didn't know that there was actually a slowdown in Grime releases in 2003. I just thought I was crazy.

Good lookin' out!

One.

theres that one with lady stush - in fact im sure roll deep did a cd - roll deep presents grimey vol 1 which kind of chronicles the history of the sound in a very loose way

ive got it on mp3, there maxwell d -serious, lady stush - dollar sign (which i think sounds like a sticky beat, not sure from when tho)

actually looking back at the tracklist, that cd looks to have been 2004, bit late for you

speaking of early grime/garage etc... i asked in the grime thread if anyone knew anything about Nu Brand Flexxx - Ghetto Life

will try to up a clip

its a sick tune, ive heard it in sets before, but where ive ripped it from is the first luka/msoses set - dj deisel/wiley/godgift etc..

anyway here you go

http://www.mediafire.com/?i82sdjxbchw

one of those back in the day tunes, kind of reminds me of maxwell d' serious but with a much rougher bassline breakdown

luka

it's a deep tune.... and while we're on that set... whos the other mc on the boys in the hood track? i think he's really good and he's always been a mystery to me. that sets a great little breakdown of early grime classics. the early east is east tracks were great, specially the wiley remix of that one.

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Tell me about it.

there were almost endless remixes, officail and otherwise....

That song confused the hell out of me with all of the different versions. My Grime blog won't be dropping until the NBA Finals is finally wrapped up and hopefully my beloved Boston Celtics will come up on top.

One.

Tim F

The best version (from a riddim perspective) of "Are You Really From The Endz" is the VIP mix, that's the instrumental one all the grime MCs were rapping over at the end of 02 and beginning of 03.

There's also a decent Jammer mix.

I love the sound of the VIP mix - which is why the fact that funky house increasingly sounds like it is pleasing me so much.