nas

gumdrops

killer mikes album is great.

nas' album is alriiiiiight. but fails with the concept. although i think he ditched it didnt he when the name got dropped so maybe i shouldnt hold that against him. either way its just okay. typical nas thing of some painfully average to godawful beats. hes still great though, albeit all over the place. not the most focused of writers these days. i cant really bring myself to listen to this too much sadly. and i really wanted to. doesnt seem to be one knockout song on it.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
That's what I'm here for.

Poisonous Dart has shown me (for the most part) that I've been looking in the wrong places. Certain parts of the indie scene right now, particularly the instrumental indie scene coming out of California and Michigan, is, in my opinion, some of the best music being made in the world right now.

Producers like: Flying Lotus, Ras G, Dabrye, Samiyam, Gaslamp Killer, and Brainfeeder (who I believe is a combination of Lotus, Ras G, and Samiyam) are killing it.

Also rappers like Blu (this guy is fucked differently, and I am usually the first to hate on backpacker shit), his group C.R.A.C. Knuckles, and Shawn Jackson.

No wonder Kode 9 has ditched dubstep for this shit.

PS: Thanks Dart.

That's why I'm still on Dissensus. I starting lurking back in 2005 and I needed soem questions answered from Matt Mason, Chantelle Fiddy and Logan Sama. Then I realized that writers like Dave Stelfox and others whose articles I'd read for years while working in record stores posted on here. At first everyone thought I was a humorless, Golden Era loving closeminded Hip Hop traditionalist that hated all music made below the Mason-Dixon line. 2005 was a rough year for me on here! LOL.

BTW, Killer Mike's "I Pledge Allegiance To The Grind 2" is fuckin' ridiculous. Top 25 of 2008 easy!

One.

One.

petergunn

plywood violin
typical nas thing of some painfully average to godawful beats. hes still great though, albeit all over the place. not the most focused of writers these days. i cant really bring myself to listen to this too much sadly. and i really wanted to. doesnt seem to be one knockout song on it.

yeah, i thought lyricaly and conceptually it was great, the most political record i've heard in a while, that last poets vibe... but, i feel like he ended up to many retro soul beats that don't really suit him... leave it to ghostface! it made it a little corny, like it was a tribute record to last Poets, gil scott heron, et all, and not in a good way, but like he had no new ideas to contribute to that history (at least sonically)

the Black president beat was banging, but too much of the rest is just so so... also, when the rock huitars come in on "sly fox", a def WTF?!? moment... just why? this album is dying for a remix, put those accas over some good beats///