GAS - mike ink, wolfgang voight etc..

Buick6

too punk to drunk
i hear GAS and K. Shields have been secretly collaborating for the past 10 years with guests like Mick Harris and Thomas Koner, and the results are gonna come out on a 6+6 CD box set with all material remixed by Burial.

LOL! I actually have the KONER EXPERIMENT disc, I put it on occassionally but it freaks me out! It is a seriously fucked up record that feels like the closest approximation of paranoid schizophrenia ever recorded! It reminds me of that 'psychotic episode' experience recording in the film BRAINSTORM!!!

ARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

But staying OT, the second version of Faust's KRAUTORCK slipped onto the Zen this morning, and it's Teutonic massiveness rumbles through the GAS works.:cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
the second version of Faust's KRAUTORCK slipped onto the Zen this morning, and it's Teutonic massiveness rumbles through the GAS works.:cool:

which second version do you mean? i have 2 versions as well, one from IV album, which is cleaner and more reserved, and another version on... fuck i can't remember, which is more raw and aggressive.

rob_giri

But staying OT, the second version of Faust's KRAUTORCK slipped onto the Zen this morning, and it's Teutonic massiveness rumbles through the GAS works.:cool:

haha, yeah forrr sure!

Yea i mean when i read this thread i thougth pfft, those 3 GAS records weren't THAT good, but listening back to them now, albeit a little bit hit and miss, some of the tracks are masterpieces. Konigsforst probably my favourite, swei vier and sechs are pure gold. Im sure having them on Vinyl would be surpreme, these shitty mp3s dont really seem to do them justice

and Koners Teimo/Permafrost is also a masterpiece

And EAR has some good stuff, Beyond the Pale is a corker, but a little bit hippie junkie vibe, Sonic Boom is just great and i love him so much i wish i could say all his music is good, but some of it really isnt. But you know, its a junkie thing, its all good enough

And anyway, just get the Kompakt Pop Ambient series, all of them 2001-2008, amazing, awesome, beautiful, they really just sort of captured it all with these releases, but sometimes becoming a little too Koelner poppy at times, but the Marcus Guenter tracks are amazing

Last edited:

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
actually despite my love of Gas (er?) i know next to nothing of the Kompact catalogue so thats a good place to start by the sounds of it.

zhao

there are no accidents
you might be dissapointed by the pop ambient series. they are nice, but not the hazy remembrance in an autumnal fog deep in some fatherland forrest at sunset sort of affair like GAS. more like afternoon naps lying on a modernist sofa in a generic but tastefully decorated chic minimal tea room. always pleasant but often uneventful and quite boring.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
more like afternoon naps lying on a modernist sofa in a generic but tastefully decorated chic minimal tea room. always pleasant but often uneventful and quite boring.

Do you have the address for this place? ;)

zhao

there are no accidents
directly opposite of Lychenerstr. 18. i might go there for a beer later care to join?

trouc

trouc
you might be dissapointed by the pop ambient series. they are nice, but not the hazy remembrance in an autumnal fog deep in some fatherland forrest at sunset sort of affair like GAS. more like afternoon naps lying on a modernist sofa in a generic but tastefully decorated chic minimal tea room. always pleasant but often uneventful and quite boring.

Have to totally disagree on this... 2005 & 2007 at least have an incredible emotional resonance and depth of feeling, for me at least. Great tunes, great organisation, great mixes. Perfect late night music, with an almost rural sense of space to them, nothing chic there at all...

polystyle

If there is a Gas bandwagon , count me in.
Missed the series first time around,
maybe caught up in the Profan Grungerman Fackeln im Sturm release.
Listening to the Nah Und Fern rere daily over the weekend, it's just great stuff.
Imo classic, for the ages, technoid.
Not for everyone
-but reading Simon's post and interview with Wolfgang,
plus that German interview listed above was useful indepth.
And yes, that one pic does make him look like a Bowie doesn't it ?
If the Raster Norton book thing has CD with unreleased tracks, I'll be looking out for it.
Thanks all for bringing it up !
Reveling in it ...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
If there is a Gas bandwagon , count me in.
Missed the series first time around,
maybe caught up in the Profan Grungerman Fackeln im Sturm release.
Listening to the Nah Und Fern rere daily over the weekend, it's just great stuff.
Imo classic, for the ages, technoid.
Not for everyone
-but reading Simon's post and interview with Wolfgang,
plus that German interview listed above was useful indepth.
And yes, that one pic does make him look like a Bowie doesn't it ?
If the Raster Norton book thing has CD with unreleased tracks, I'll be looking out for it.
Thanks all for bringing it up !
Reveling in it ...

He looks like Bowie in the WIRE cover article.

But on this interview, he looks like some dandy German geezer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

straight

wings cru
i had a copy of Pop the first time round as i got most of my post techno musical education by buying every single raster-noton/mille plateaux record i saw but back then i prefered the Mike inc side of things. I've now just finished listening to the Konigsforest section and its blown me away, every single thing i love about bleary eyed techno is there. I can almost see what convinced guys like tim hecker to turn off the drum machines and concentrate on the beauty of decay and really hope this'll act as a wake up call to nouvaux ibiza techno as a whole; pull your socks up and take that silly scarf off.
Has managed to snap me out of my post bday/mdma where-is-my-life-going meltdown, i only regret ive slept on it for 8 years.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Just got my boxset in the mail from FE today...It's swelling on my Pioneer system behind me as I type..I mean really it's just uber-hipster new-age musique, you could really listen to Popul Vuh or the Wyndham Hill catalogue, but arr fuck it, I love this shit, I just put it on and go to the toilet and do my dishes to it!

But Mike Voight does the ethereal techno thing, really, really well.. I'm surprised Sofia Coppolla hasn't approached him to do soundtrack work in Hollywood, I mean it'll be better than Iva Motherfucking Davies doing fucking Hollywood motherfucking soundtracks!!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
um you mean its some sort of 'ambient' (if you will) music?

Damn not-straight! Though some of it is too scary and neurotic to be 'ambient', kinda like Lou Reed's 'ambient' record, 'hudson river meditations' or whatever it was called!

straight

wings cru
anbient music doesnt have to be pleasant. tim hecker, fennesz, the 12k/line etc could be considered ambient its just noone uses the term since all the naff early 90s chillout comps rinsed it

Code

Never even heard of these guys till the new 4xCD boxset came out... check some clips and liked it so I got the CDs - impressed !

music to get lost in.

Client Eastwood

Gosh this is brilliant, Not heard any of this material when it first came out, picked up the box set last week. Its not like Deepchord, Echospace, Basic Channel as it suggests a darker space and there are some beautiful melodies and chords way down in the mix that would be easy to miss without active listening. Finding myself focusing on tiny little sounds going thru tiny mutations and coming out a hour later a bit displaced. For full effect listen to it in the dark.

mms

sometimes
i got pop the first time around and sold it on, i got the box set as it was quite cheap and i thought i may be wrong, but it still doesn't do much for me, it's not really that inspiring, now if someone reissued all the early thomas koner stuff that would be a coup.