Actioning a blue-skies approach outside the box

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OTOH living with yer mum isn't terribly conducive to a hard-man image, is I think Slothrop's point.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Please someone give me a snappy phrase to use in place of 'stakeholder'. I just can't bring myself to write the word.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

"I just want to stick a couple of ideas into your intellectual toaster and see what pops out" - definitely worth a whirl at the next board meeting

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

"I just want to stick a couple of ideas into your intellectual toaster and see what pops out" - definitely worth a whirl at the next board meeting

I would be unable to say this without pointing out that I stuck all sorts of things in their mum's intellectual toaster all night, and she fucking loved it, the dirty bitch.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
At what point did 'ownership' become a thing? I understand that a person or group of people can have ownership of a certain entity, fine, or even of an abstract process or whatever. But these days you see corporate bumf saying shit like "Oh yes, we're dead keen on ownership!", in the same way you might describe yourself as keen on cheese or football or classical music. As if it were something you can value in and of itself, without it being ownership *of* anything. Bizarre.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

At what point did 'ownership' become a thing? I understand that a person or group of people can have ownership of a certain entity, fine, or even of an abstract process or whatever. But these days you see corporate bumf saying shit like "Oh yes, we're dead keen on ownership!", in the same way you might describe yourself as keen on cheese or football or classical music. As if were something you can value in and of itself, without it being ownership *of* anything. Bizarre.

Also 'i want you to really own this process' to mean 'i want you to take responsibility and do a good job'

Heard a few government peeps use 'grip' - like 'we are really gripping this issue' at the dept. health or whatever.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"To own", by itself, is perfectly fine in the context of "OMG did you see me totally own that n00b?!" while playing Team Fortress or whatever.

"Pwn" is even better, though. Pwnership. I like that.

Edit: hahaha... http://www.pwnership.com/

john eden

male pale and stale
Someone asked me to do some slides for a powerpoint about what my team does.

So I asked - ok, what is it for?

The answer was completely incomprehensible but included "leveraging key premier stakeholders".

I just sent him some generic stuff I had already.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
"leveraging key premier stakeholders".
What the fuck does that even mean? "We're trying to impress someone important"?

The word that makes my skin crawl the most is "excellence". As in "Business Excellence Group" or "Navigating Towards Excellence". The CEO of our company wanted to create an "Image of Excellence" to inspire us peons to put in more overtime, so he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to some PR firm (who probably sub-contracted it to some self-employed, poverty stricken graphic designer for a hot meal) to come up with said image.

Now the word "Excellence" makes me gag.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
"Deliverables" can fuck off and all.

IMO that's another one that's a well defined and specific term for a concept in project management that doesn't have a simple alternative. If someone's giving me a rough specification for a software project I'm working on, I don't want to have to ask them "what is the full set of tangible and intangible objects to be produced as a result of this project that are intended to be delivered to the (internal or external) customer?"