Madvillain?

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
Kind of too late and off topic...

MF Doom on the cover of this month's Wire.

(Un)Interesting?

As a fan I thought it was well cool - he looks great on the front of a magazine – but my thoughts did turn to the Wire's continuing blind spot to what's happening down the road (to be rectified in part by the forthcoming Grimer I suppose...)

evergreen

DavidD said:
it starts out spacey and all comes together with these incredibly affecting samples that peak out from under the covers as enthusiastic and enjoyable moments rather than standard songs w/ hooks; i suppose this is a sort of classicist/rockist reason to like an album but i dont value it for rockist reasons; its simply enjoyable, relaxing yet engaging, full of quirky life stories and fun plays on language, pop culture and flipping the script on language. Plus he makes puns like my dad.
i agree with this completely. for about half a year this record sounded like another blunted Madlib production to me, but something about the way they chose their samples and orchestrated the flow of the entire LP sets it apart from past ventures. the loops make their impact very, very gradually. it's immaculate and actually quite mature without having the worst hallmarks of 'maturity' (studied lack of fun, overbearing self-awareness, etc). and i'm not commending it for being 'mature', but for sounding fresh in that way.