baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Leaving because they got tired of Spanish road signs and posters of Maradona - genius.

It must be a joke, but who the hell is it aimed at? One of the most bizarre things i've ever seen in such a big publication.

grizzleb

The daily mail has for a while been pretty expert in meme manufacture, I'd imagine a large part of its revenue stream depends on it being linked by people who just want to laugh at the ridiculousness of the paper.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's gotta be a joke. All that stuff about Kirchner being enraged by Streep's Oscar and people leaving because of all the pictures of Maradonna.
My favourite comment (of many humdingers)

Reminds me of the Harry Enfield sketch where he invents some completely hypothetical situation about, say, Yoko Ono, and then works himself up into a frothing self-righteous rage about something she hasn't actually done.

hucks

Your Message Here
It's gotta be a joke. All that stuff about Kirchner being enraged by Streep's Oscar and people leaving because of all the pictures of Maradonna.
My favourite comment (of many humdingers)

I seem to remember people poo poohing these kinds of warnings in 1939

If you were reading The Mail in 1939 you may well recall that

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Because lots of people probably think that supporting the Nazis was an easy mistake to make in the '30s, and they 'only really turned out to be bad later'. I think a lot of people are OK with it, it's fairly common knowledge. I doubt Churchill himself had too many moral objections to Nazism, rather than objections regarding dangers to UK sovereignty - this is the man who opposed Gandhi and supported Franco and Mussolini for ages, after all. "I will not pretend that, if I had to choose between communism and Nazism, I would choose communism". The Mail supporting the Nazis wasn't really that out of step.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you were reading The Mail in 1939 you may well recall that

If you were reading the Mail in 1939 you probably thought this Hitler chap had some bloody good ideas and was just what this country could jolly well do with...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Whereas now you invoke Hitler as the bogeyman and yet come curiously close to agreeing with his immigration policies...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Whereas now you invoke Hitler as the bogeyman and yet come curiously close to agreeing with his immigration policies...

This is done brilliantly in Will Self's The Book of Dave, where there's this utterly paranoid, borderline schizophrenic cabbie driving through Asian parts of London, ranting to himself "Fucking Pakis, fucking savages...mind you, they know how to keep their women in line, don't they?".

Or as it occurred to me over the summer riots:

The Daily Mail said:
Islamic courts 'introducing Shari'a law by stealth'

The Daily Mail said:
Join our campaign for thieves to be soundly flogged, then have their right hand cut off with a sword

Or like the unbelievable cynicism of the BNP in trying to court the Jewish vote over the last few years, in the face of the 'common enemy' - come off it pal, we all know which side you'd have been on when it was kicking off in Cable Street...

e/y

I generally don't like it when RA / FACT do this type of headline, but this is great:

o0uqf5.jpg