Free improv / folk / psych crossroads?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
And lastly, when I wrote "free improv" I was thinking much more of AMM members like Keith Rowe, Eddie Prevost etc. and those Austrians like Polwechsl and so on than anything that might be compared to, I dunno, The Grateful Dead. ;) Something fairly austere, but pulling back on the use-instruments-new-ways methods...

There's a track on the Polwechsl / Fennesz album 'Wrapped Islands' that I really like that's a few gurgles and bloops, breathy clarinet sounds (with a few honks) and a completely uneffected acoustic guitar being strummed. It's an unlikely candidate for beautiful music to listen to on a sunny morning.

Anyway, don't want to sound at all ungrateful, as I said, I was deliberately vague... will dig through what's here.

Last edited:

rob_giri

yeah cool, peeps have pretty much listed all the good stuff. i was heaps into this stuff circa 2005, when it was playing around every experimental music nerds system after the whole intense MEGO and mille plateux went out of fashion and everyone started listening to folk music. The finnish guys really had it going. in my opinion Jan Anderzen from Kemmiliasit Ystervet is one the best musicians of recent times, his records, particuarly kellari juniversumi, is absolutely killah.

other than him Lau Nau and Islaja totally rinse it, Avarus and Keijo are great also.

For a while there was this Finnish psych folk/New Weird America thing.

To check it out, Foxy Digitalis http://www.digitalisindustries.com/foxyd/index.php, was the prime mover of this stuff. I used to think they were the coolest thing in the world. And it was, a lot of it.

Also go to http://www.terrascope.co.uk/, the Terrastock festival in kentucky is the main festival that attracts this stuff around the world.

Yeah its all awesome music but havent listened to any of it in a while, i collected a rather ridiculous amount of the records though.

And also you might want to check Francis Plagne from Melbourne. Two incredible albums. he is also a childhood friend of mine and a former band member. amazing guy and great music.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
So from ongoing digging it seems like Lau Nau is as close to what I was hoping for as any of the recommendations have come. Any suggestions for stuff along those lines - mainly clean sounds; beatless (or at least not like a jam band!); subtle, effective electronic treatments.

Something more austere, more ... liminal would be awesome.

Haha. "Liminal."

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
John Martyn: Solid Air, Inside Out, Live at Leeds
on a Current 93 tip, Coil's equinox series and The Remote Viewer
Roy Harper's Stormcock (BIG influence on later Talk Talk)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
And also you might want to check Francis Plagne from Melbourne. Two incredible albums. he is also a childhood friend of mine and a former band member. amazing guy and great music.

This is not what I was imagining when I started this thread, but it's pretty great. Some of it reminds me of the good bits of that Microphones / Mount Eerie guy, other bits remind me of Sun (another Aussie band I really like - Oren Ambarchi & Chris Townsend, from memory).

polystyle

territories ...

Hey thanks Michael for bringing this thread,
also ChildOtB for linking to Terrascope and FoxyD ...
Reading about the last Terrascope Fest. helped me to place this new group we have formed.
There is an account there about Yo La Tengo Ira & Georgia's project Sleeping Pill and as it turns out we play our first show with them (YLTengo) at the end of the month.
The new freaky America' things didn't float my boat much ,
but the dynamic amp'd & quiet, improv with electronics groups are territory we have found ourselves doing from the first time we played together.
Nice when one can learn a bit o' something on Dissensus ...