Your preferred digital DJ system and why

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I reckon Serato is generally better than the competition. All the DJ's I know that went and bought one of the cheaper products are constantly bemoaning its performance and insisting on using Serato when they play in clubs.

I have Serato and have never experienced any problems with it that weren't directly related to my computer being a piece of shit.

Damien

Got Ableton, as others have said I use it for studio mixes,
got an apc40 and reassigned the dials so it's more DJ friendly, multi-eq'ing, bass kills etc. Just need a good enough excuse to use it live now, sticking to CDJ's for time being.

Anyone got any ideas on laptop insurances for this kind of use?

continuum

smugpolice
can anyone help with the following:

I have previously had a Serato and M-Audio Torq set-ups which I have then sold. As a result I still have the Serato and Torq software on my laptop. I'm about to invest in a new DVS system but am thinking I can save some money by simply buying an audio interface and two control vinyls and then using the Torq or (preferably) Serato software I already have installed. Has anyone mixed and matched their DVS system components / software? I'm currently looking at the following audio interface > http://www.decks.co.uk/products/native_instruments/Audio_4_DJ Will it work with the Serato software? Can I use any manufacturers control vinyl with this set up?

straight

wings cru
i think if you buy an audio 4 from dv247.com at the minute you get the traktor scratch software for free, its much better than the serato software

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
] Will it work with the Serato software? Can I use any manufacturers control vinyl with this set up?

For the first, using NI hardware with Serato software...I seriously doubt it but haven't tried it. Manufacturers are usually making a bit of effort (software/drivers, dongles etc) so you're not able to do that. But in the depth of the internet, maybe someone took the boxes & software apart and figured out what checks are being done & how you could break them.
Also, there was a DIY scratch/dvs system about on the net & how to build it for 150 quid. Never tried or seen it though.
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=DI...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

As for the second idea, using tracking vinyl across manufacturers, I tried that & Serato would freak out on traktor plates and vice versa.

i think if you buy an audio 4 from dv247.com at the minute you get the traktor scratch software for free, its much better than the serato software

Another vote for traktor over Serato here as well (if you want to have more control & freedom and aren't a computer/data aliterate that is) ... but, I would be careful with buying separate pieces. I remember an outcry on the NI forums when people thought they could outsmart the PR machinery and buy an Audio4 and Traktor (not scratch) separatly (as it was cheaper that way) & were expecting it to work out of the box, which it didn't. Hence the premium/bundle/commercialSoftwareUpdate for traktor 'scratch' versions...
As a side note, NI offers Traktor Scratch Duo, which is an Audio4 (I think) with traktor scratch restricted to 2 decks (instead of 4 of the Pro version) for 270quid.
meh... being seriously annoyed by Serato makes me sound like a Native Instruments sales person.fckery.
c.

Dusty

Tone deaf
Worth pointing out that if you are a laptop DJ you really don't need the audio4 and its extra inputs, the much cheaper (and sadly, plasticy) Audio 2 is exactly the same hardware inside.

continuum

smugpolice
Many thanks for the reply alec.tron

I ended up buying Traktor Scratch Duo and used it for the first time at my brother's wedding last night. It worked faultlessly for 6 solid hours and I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
sweet, glad to hear my rant helped ;)
as for neat things in Traktor now that you got it, since that's one of the many things I missed in Serato (I think they added it in the last update tho) & if you're a little bit OCD, after you finished playing & you want to archive what you played or not forget about certain mixes or whatever:
go to the history folder at the bottom of the crates & playlists, select all of the history or the bits you want to keep, chuck it into a playlist (not 100% if that's even necessary), save out your playlist as txt/cvs/whatever-other-ascii options there are and you can search/backup your mixes in a program-independant format easily.
Also, you can directly mix with flac files, which makes a whole lot of difference the better the system is you get to play on.
c.

Benny Bunter

I've got Torq/conectiv and then switched to Deckadance. I find both to be ok, but not brilliant. Not really keen on how it feels to cue records in and I'm not entirely convinced by how well they keep tunes in time either. Sometimes I find that I'll get a record in time perfectly, then when I take it back to the start and bring it in again its at a slightly different tempo. I've got better results when I put the latency at the very lowest setting, but then I get clicks and distortion if I move the mouse so I cant really get away with it. Got hold of a copy of futuredecks pro so I'll try that next, but at the minute I just keep returning to Vinyl.

Anyway, my question is, Is the Serato software considerably better than the competition, or do serato users still get similar problems. Got a pretty decent laptop so I don't think thats really the problem.

*slaps forehead* I've only just realised after about six months that if I turned off the wi-fi switch on the laptop I could get 2.5 m/s latency without any pops or clicks using deckadance with the m-audio conectiv soundcard. It makes a massive difference to the responsiveness of the whole set up. I would heartily recommend it to anyone now. Can't believe it took me that long to figure it out though :eek:

edit: Well after playing with it a bit more, its a lot better but still not perfect. Think I'm gonna abandon the DVS thing when mixing mp3s and just use the software until I can afford something better.

One tip I just discovered for digital djs: Mixmeister's free BPM analyser seems to be much more accurate than most software and it rewrites the ID tags for you. Some of the more broken sounding funky and grime tunes were coming out as 200bpm in deckadance and torq for me.

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Came across this on djhistory a while back. Someone was asking about Traktor and Francios K pitched in with some great posts. Not digital myself but I think it's very valuable insight from someone at that level and should be useful to some of you. Interesting that he's been digital nine years (so much so that there's a split in digital djing :p) and reckons he's fairly close to future proofing his set up.

>

• Do not use 'pitch correction' on playback as it clouds up the sound. (same as 'Master Tempo' warbling on Pioneer decks)
• Turn off 'automatic limiting' and just watch your levels instead so that nothing ever goes in the red.
• Use 'classic' as the EQ type, that one sounds the cleanest.

PICK THE HARDWARE CONTROLLER YOU WANT TO WORK WITH. (fairly important part)

Not specific to Traktor, but do not ever use mp3 files. If you encode your own vinyl, do it at high bit rate / high sampling rate using audiophile-grade equipment, not passing through a mixer (rather directly going from a stand-alone phono preamp properly matched to your cartridge into the A/D input) and pay attention to having as good a cartridge and A/D converter as you can afford. Budget soundcards are cheap for a reason. Don't record too hot, as it can create very nasty-sounding clipping artifacts.

Simplified version: Sh*t in = sh*t out.

The sum total of all of these things will make a huge, let me correct that -gigantic- difference IMO.

Then again, that's if you care about sound, and want to look at it from the professional angle. Not everyone does...

[sarcasm]
Alternately, you can buy a cheap USB turntable to save a couple of quid, only to have the priceless pleasure later down the line of spending hundreds of hours of your time to re-encode everything a second time once you realize it all sounded like pathetic crap. One clear advantage of this second method is: you can do your part in helping to reinforce the stereotype that digital DJ'ing sounds terrible and will not ever be up to par with anything else. When if fact it's not your DJ system that sucks, rather the consistently poor and wretched encoding quality of your vinyl rips due to your cutting corners in the first place, thinking you knew better and could get by without making the necessary investment into it.

As an added bonus, you should also expect an unusual high amount of people who don't know anything about how to operate it offering unsolicited advice on how bad it is and that it crashes all the time or whatever else, even though most times they have very little or no personal experience whatsoever with it. Go with the flow on this one, it's part for the course, and nowadays nowhere quite as bad as it was when people like myself started using it around nine years ago. But as with any disruptive technology, expect that it is bound to make certain people extremely uncomfortable. If this happens, then you'll know you're probably on the right path. Laughing out loud [/sarcasm]

Now about the most important part: budget a backup solution for both your music collection (the database, usually somewhere on your internal hard drive, where depends on if it's a Mac or a PC) as well as for your audio files. Back up both frequently. There's no going around that unless you want to lose all of your work. You may want to consider having your audio files on an external hard disk rather than sharing space on your system disk. Caveat Emptor.

Then there's tagging. As your collection grows it might become necessary to invest a fair amount of time into entering all of the proper information in their respective fields (artist name, song name, version, etc... as well as graphics) The more you pay attention to this, the better it will make it as your collection grows.That way you can search for stuff and quickly find it. That's what long winter nights are for....!

If saving disk space is a concern Traktor accepts FLAC as a format (no matter what bit and sample rate), which has the advantage of making your files have tags and graphics embedded into them if you feel this is important to you.

Hey, that's merely my opinion from experience, but there's no doubt that I am in the minority with this. The way most people go about it indicates that they don't agree with it, as most often than not they seem quite content and unbothered playing those mp3 files.

Those are great at home on little computer speakers or on earbuds, but in a big club with massive amplification there is a noticeable difference. Also when you start pitching them up or down they seem to degrade far more.

Allegedly good MP3 = 320 kB/s

My audio files from vinyl = 4608 kB/s

Which do you think has more resolution to describe the sound when you scale up? (to use another analogy, would you take a jpg image from a web site and blow it up to billboard-size advert that's 4 meters wide?... same thing basically)

If you play noisy bar gigs and weddings no one might care, but if you get to deal with decent sound systems in bigger venues, that's another story... why start at the lowest-common-denominator which will limit you for the future, rather than aim high and be prepared for better situations to materialize?

That brought me to an interesting thought actually, about the difference between vinyl and DIY digital.

With vinyl you're basically playing back something that the mastering engineer took great care in putting together, so it's always bound to sound pretty great (unless they did a dodgy job, but it's presentable in most cases). With digital it's up to the operator to make sure that they use a high-resolution sound file to at least come close or match that, but to be fair most people don't care or know enough about it to actually understand what they should be doing to make it as good as what the mastering engineer did. So in comparison, the vinyl makes it easier to obtain good sound as that's already been done by someone qualified and out of the DJ's hand. Digital on the other hand could widely vary depending on how competent the DJ in question is with regards to preparing and encoding their music collection.... these added variables make it that many who try actually never manage to get very far, and certainly not at the level of quality that vinyl will deliver right out of the box.

Yet there are many examples of high-resolution digital files that sound truly glorious when properly prepared. Also many bad ones, like those over-maximized major-label CDs which are maximized to death and have audible distortion artifacts. That so few people care to only play the high-quality stuff has given digital DJing a bad name, but those stereotypes are only generalizations and need not apply to you or anyone else determined to use these new tools to their full potential. (which obviously requires far more work and dedication, but will also yield very satisfying results)

Continues here. Well worth a read even if you're on wax or digitising your collection. Talks a good bit about converting all his reggae.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I've been replacing my 320's with FLAC for the past year or so. Now 90% of my 2TB music hoard is CD-quality, reading that at least made me feel like I wasn't wasting my time.

I'm not sure if he's just talking about FLAC usage in relation to Traktor, but if not, he's incorrect about the tag support; FLAC will hold ID3v2 tags and you can add as many custom ones as you want to a file.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Now there seems to have been an explosion in the amount of more affordable DJ controllers available, anyone got any good recommendations? My decks and records are all in storage indefinitely and I'm bored of making mixes in ableton, I want to have a go at beatmatching again! The choice seems overwhelming and I don't really have access to a shop where I can try some out where I live.

I'm interested in one of those all-in-one units with a mixer, platters, soundcard all built in. Preferably something not too Fisher-Price with nice sliders and buttons. Not really that interested in fancy FX etc, just a basic but good quality old skool type set up.

I bought a Numark N4 recently (few reasons- save space, sell on CDJs & make a profit, not have to burn CDs constantly to try out things) for the house and I quite like it. Admittedly parts of it feel a bit plasticky (sic) but for the price it does the job.

Had a go on a Pioneer Ergo and that was alright as well although the jog wheels felt a bit dodgy frankly.