Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

luka

Slowtrain yip shot chur bro
That's obvious but still important and worth saying to shut down this pointless debate around the world's most nebulous word

luka

It's not even just youth now cos there's plenty of people in thier 40s labelled hipster

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that it may also be the case that there have always been a number of different types of people, who have only recently started to get unanamiosly lumped together as 'hipster' due to a few similar characteristics (cultural middle class youth affectations i guess)

Agreed, and I think I may have said something similar a few pages back. It's become a blanket term applied to various 'youth' tribes that don't necessarily have much in common beyond dressing in a way that their parents' generation might regard as idiosyncratic. ('Youth' in scare quotes because, as luka says, plenty of people you might call hipsters are old enough to have teenage kids.)

Leo

I'd like to take this opportunity to pre-mock anyone I will see a few months from now wearing a Dismaland t-shirt. *rolls eyes*

trza

I always thought Banksy didn't like selling shirts or posters or other commercial crap. The REAL hipsters are ironically wearing Donald Trump hats this summer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Banksy is a fucking bell-end*. Anyone who buys his tat or thinks he's a genius is a double bell-end.

(*although not *that* much of a bell-end because at the end of the day he's making a fat stack out of it, so fair play, I guess)

Leo

I always thought Banksy didn't like selling shirts or posters or other commercial crap.

http://shop.dismaland.co.uk/product-category/adult-t-shirts/

red_castle2.jpg

Leo

truth be told, i'd probably go if i lived close by.

DJs and bands playing friday nights as well.

comelately

Wild Horses
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...fe-targeted-by-anti-gentrification-protesters

There used to be an arty DVD rental shop there back in the day - I was a member for a little while. Obviously such an enterprise is no longer sustainable, but 'arthouse DVDs' to 'posh cereal' does say something I think.

It's quite interesting from the POV that cereal is basically the original manufactured food, offering in nutritional terms incredibly poor value for money.

Last edited:

trza

A lot of geographic place making and other local changes are really just modern versions of the exact same thing.

droid

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...fe-targeted-by-anti-gentrification-protesters

There used to be an arty DVD rental shop there back in the day - I was a member for a little while. Obviously such an enterprise is no longer sustainable, but 'arthouse DVDs' to 'posh cereal' does say something I think.

It's quite interesting from the POV that cereal is basically the original manufactured food, offering in nutritional terms incredibly poor value for money.

Torch wielding anarchist mob attack cereal cafe in anti-gentrification direct action.

It's Ballard meets Nathan Barley.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
An awful lot of pricks seem to think calling themselves "activists" gives them unlimited moral licence to do anything to anyone. As if two young men who are running a small business fundamentally no different from any other small business in the area, except they're white and have silly facial fair, are somehow personally responsible for everything Cameron's government has done.

trza

I hate hipsters as much as the next guy, but they aren't responsible for the Fan Duel or Draft Kings commercials. So there is that.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
An awful lot of pricks seem to think calling themselves "activists" gives them unlimited moral licence to do anything to anyone. As if two young men who are running a small business fundamentally no different from any other small business in the area, except they're white and have silly facial fair, are somehow personally responsible for everything Cameron's government has done.

A fair comment that I've seen on this is that either these people are unaware that the City of London is about five minutes down the road or they actually hate cereal more than banks.

comelately

Wild Horses
Let's face it though, anyone non-vegetarian who would choose a bowl of cereal over a salt beef beigel probably doesn't deserve to live, amirite?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've seen a number of people getting all self-righteous about "have you SEEN WHAT THEY CHARGE for a bowl of Coco Pops???" - as if that's any different from the couple of quid you'd pay for a portion of boiled rice in any of the 5,000 interchangeable mediocre Indo-Bangla restaurants that comprise most of the other businesses inna area.

It's almost as if the catering industry operates by buying ingredients at wholesale, combining them is some way and then selling them on to punters at a mark-up!