trza

all this talk about latin and bossa music reminded me of that song goldie did with chico science. so almost twenty years later i dig it up on a low quality youtube video, goldie - chico death of a rockstar. what a clunker of a tune. at least Nação Zumbi thought it was good enough to put on a bonus disc of their next album.

luka

Don't beat around the bush. The lad is mentally ill. We accept that here. Its not a problem AT ALL but let's not pretend he is not damaged. And I say that as someone with a lot of mad mates

droid

Ha. No, I dont think thats fair. The tresillo observation is striking. And I like a good wild theory.

sadmanbarty

Droid, thanks for being a good sport and keeping me on my toes.

Just in terms of my theory being wild or mentally ill:

There are two components of my argument being discussed simultaneously which confuses the issue. Let's separate them for the moment; the Latin thing was only intended as an aside to my main point.

My central argument is that the rhythms that dominated jungle in 1994 are indebted to dancehall. Isn't this fairly plausible given how much jungle is influenced by Jamaican music and culture; rewinds, dubplates, MC's, samples, bass, rudebwoys, patois, etc. ? Even if you disagree, I don’t think it’s particularly outlandish.

As for the issue of dancehall being latin influenced, again you may well disagree, but given Jamaica’s proximity to Latin America and the similar rhythmic emphasis, I don’t think it’s "wild" to suggest a possible influence there.

sadmanbarty

1. Sample sizes - far too small in each case.

Sample size could always be bigger, but roughly 50 tracks each for ragga and non-ragga is quite a lot; they get a track each for every week of 1994.

of course, once you deviate from a 2/4 snare pattern does that automatically mean its 'Latin'? You would need some very firm definitions to back up an analysis like this.

I didn’t go into depth about definitions on my posts for the sake of my (and every one else’s) sanity. However, here are the precise snare emphasis I was using to define Bosa Nova-ish (minus the 1 on the first beat of each two bar phrase):

. Too much emphasis on the Latin influence on dancehall. Sure, there is a strong thread of Latin influence in Jamaican music, particularly from salsa in the 40's/early 50's, and some early rocksteady and reggae tunes are at least partially based on Latin standards. Also, Carribean music in general shares some of the same rhythmic characteristics, Calypso, Son, Merengue, Soca, Salsa, Mento... so it might be more accurate to see African traditions as a common influence rather than Latin music influencing everything else.

May well be true. Either way dancehall is the way most junglists would have been exposed to these kind of rhythms. Outside jazz, these kind of rhythms are largely absent from black american music of the last century.

With regard to dancehall itself, it was around for 10 years before Punanny introduced the boom-boom-chick pattern, and it's one of the most rhythmically promiscuous genres around... Hip-hop, Pocomania, Kumina, Banghra, Mento & various Reggae rhythms are all utilised, there was a huge amount of output, tons of studio experimentation, loads of competition between studios and producers... so Im not sure exactly how much you can pin on the Latin influence.

I’m by no means saying dancehall is mono-rhythmic, but anyone familiar with dancehall in the early 90’s would have been well acquainted with boom boom chick and tressillo over 4.

is the main problem here I think. The thesis is inherently unprovable. Im pretty sure most of the producers of those tunes would say that they were simply trying to make breaks work in the studio.

A lot of rappers wouldn't say they are taking part in a tradition that dated back to scat singing. Lots of people making Calypso, Son, Merengue, Soca, Salsa, Mento wouldn't say that they are trying to elicit traditional african music. I'm sure there's tons of people making brostep who don't know who Kraftwerk are. None of this nullifies lineage. Again I’d stress that rewinds, dubplates, MC’s, ragga jungle, bass, etc. are widely acknowledged as Jamaican holdovers, so by extension it’s not far fetched to suggest that the rhythms might also owe debt to dancehall.

the other hand this might just as well weaken your argument... Tons of dancehall samples included bass, drums or other rhythmic elements as well as the vocal, so it would make sense for jungle producers to build around these elements rather than fight against them.

Well on that count, can we both agree that these kind of rhythms, when used in ragga jungle, are derived from dancehall? Is this an admission that these rhythms are a likely outcome if you're using sampled breaks to match/complement dancehall rhythmic emphasis?

If the influence is less present in non-ragga jungle then this could show that there was no pervasive influence, just a reaction to the musical elements present in some of the source material...

The influence is less relative to ragga jungle, but these rhythms are nonetheless THE dominant idiom in the non-ragga jungle of 1994 as well.

Last edited:

droid

Droid, thanks for being a good sport and keeping me on my toes.

Just in terms of my theory being wild or mentally ill:

There are two components of my argument being discussed simultaneously which confuses the issue. Let's separate them for the moment; the Latin thing was only intended as an aside to my main point.

My central argument is that the rhythms that dominated jungle in 1994 are indebted to dancehall. Isn't this fairly plausible given how much jungle is influenced by Jamaican music and culture; rewinds, dubplates, MC's, samples, bass, rudebwoys, patois, etc. ? Even if you disagree, I don’t think it’s particularly outlandish.

Dont take Luka too seriously. He occupies the jester/bard role around here.

One point.

There are two types of influence here.

I would say that the structural influence (bass) and nearly all of the rituals originate mainly from reggae/dub/roots or 80's dancehall.

And that the early 90's dancehall influence, ragga chat, full vocal, clash samples etc. are more in the area of 'flavour' as Matt says - in the same way that hip-hop was the main flavour during the jump up years, but that the hip-hop influence (through breaks) was structural & perennial.

Woebot

As for the issue of dancehall being latin influenced, again you may well disagree, but given Jamaica’s proximity to Latin America and the similar rhythmic emphasis, I don’t think it’s "wild" to suggest a possible influence there.

the clave was a big influence on dancehall. definitely.

droid

And for the record, I never said this was 'wild' claim. I said you may be overstating it.

trza

i always thought it was boat traffic from other islands that brought latin caribbean music to jamaica

luka

There's a mix in Woebot to 'prove' jungle comes from hiphop and reggae is just a bit of shiny paper glued on the chassis. Its not convincing as an argument but it's a fun mix. I enjoyed it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Interesting that Matt argues that jungle lost its way when it became too self-consciously reggae-fied. I have sometimes speculated that it lost its way because it became less reggae-fied. It sped up, lost that spaciousness (such as it is) for bass, became altogether stiffer and "whiter", and ended up as a sort of heavy-metal form of dance music.

OTOH perhaps that represented an escape route from a ragga overload?

Woebot

There's a mix in Woebot to 'prove' jungle comes from hiphop and reggae is just a bit of shiny paper glued on the chassis. Its not convincing as an argument but it's a fun mix. I enjoyed it

:-D

yeah well it beats a boring argument doesn't it. at least there's a positive, constructive outcome.

I have sometimes speculated that it lost its way because it became less reggae-fied.

that was later.

luka

Matt thinks '94 ragga jungle was a bit rote, crudely realised, cash in music. I understand that cos I had friends at the time that gave up on it for the same reasons. They were people who had sort of house-y leanings and were the first people I knew to get into garage way before it sounded at all appealing to me. For me '95 is where I gave up completely and beery jump up with the hiphop samples was the absolute nadir.... Its like that hiphop culture wars thread though... People want different things

Woebot

It's the definition of a selective reading

heh heh.

it is a bit selective BUT from the mix:

Shut Up And Dance/SUAD
Code 071+Tek 9/Reinforced
Danny Breaks+Phuture Assasins/Suburban Base
Blapps+Rebel MC/Tribal Base
The Criminal Minds/White House
DJ Crystl/Dee Jay (only regret i didnt add his "suicidal")

that's a lot of the tribes of jungle proper.

who isn't in there:
Moving Shadow
Basement
RAM

are more techno-ish.

i was thinking i'd probably grossly underestimated/underemphasised the whole techno angle. and i don't mean detroit but more new york and belgium and sheffield:

beltram (obviously)
todd terry (did his own drum and bass track later didnt 'e)
landlord "i like it" etc etc
unique 3 (later flex records)
eon

so yep - happy to be pulled up on that. but unconvinced by the pro reggae arguments. don't buy the "rewind" selector argument - jungle at raves and clubs was rarely (never?) interrupted by rewinds. a bit more on the radio - but, yes, still uncommon. none of this to say i don't love the flavour.