New Trends using Old Ideas - moving forward?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Re: funky djs not seeking acceptance from the house scene... I believe based on blackdown that they did! I would find a quote but I'm on a phone right now...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Oh, and on the subject of rolex sweep, I agree brilliant record. Scratcha (who is rapidly becoming my favourite dj) is still playing it on radio. Gives me a lift every time I hear it (as does dizzee's dance with me - fantastic record). Reynolds provided a link to the 90s house record it sampled a while back.

Actually it might be relevant to this thread if we could have a list of funky records with grime mcs (or producers) on them - I don't know if many have actually come out?

nomos

Administrator
I think people often get hung up on the lineage of particular sounds - as in chords, textures (new x 'just sounds like' old a) - when big shifts usually involve a change in rhythmic organization. Not 'sounds like' but 'works like.' That's why when a new thing is nascent, producers are throwing all kinds of sounds at a more or less common functional logic and seeing what they can do with it. UK funky is doing that now. You can listen to something like Hard House Banton and say 'oh he's just using old rave sounds, how retrograde' but those sounds are being put in new kinetic relationships. In the case of Funky, what's normally background percussion is being foregrounded to the point that it competes with the 4x4 house thump and becomes a jump off point for further abstraction/destabilization of the beat. You can hear a dozen sonic styles in a UK funky set but that rhythmic twist is underpinning most of it.

nomos

Administrator
Actually it might be relevant to this thread if we could have a list of funky records with grime mcs (or producers) on them - I don't know if many have actually come out?

perempay = bossman - has a very conservative ma1 remix but grimier stuff in mixes
sticky - how very dare you
geeneus - night remix and jelly jams material
donae'o - devil in a blue dress and african warrior
roska was making eski-ish grime before
skepta on the sweet mother CD
there's the pulse x funky remix but it's not by youngstar
jme - terminator

that's all i can think of though i'm pretty sure i've heard of more

Last edited:
^^^well put nomos

I'm not discouting anything, especially us house, and definitely not grime. Can't cover everything in one post :). (oh and when I say "nah" I'm saying, "this is how I remember it happening at the time - it's an invitation to offer other perspectives!)

course. there is no "official version". otherwise i suppose there wouldn't be much to talk about ;)

Re: funky djs not seeking acceptance from the house scene... I believe based on blackdown that they did! I would find a quote but I'm on a phone right now...

ok fair enough, straight from the horse mouth as it were. there certainly is something in the idea that scenes are catalysed / crystallised by opposition. can't go with you on the "grouse" charters... dance with me is awful! although it doesn't sound so much like it belongs in the belgian charts in 1993

Ribz- MDMA

There's a lot of grime people making funky, or something that's both but neither. I love the fucking lyrics in this, so ridiculous
"Lemsip for my chest / I am the roads"

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
^^ haha. e-ggro.

"dizzle dazzle / i'm mad / i make funky / i'm mad / i ain't new to this"