bill drummond and the 'future' of music

DJ PIMP

The Greasy Bum-Lick phase of a genre's lifespan is one of the ugliest periods, imo.

Though perhaps not as ugly as the Embittered Vultures Nailing The Coffin Shut With Endless Cynicism.

Shonx

Shallow House
Though perhaps not as ugly as the Embittered Vultures Nailing The Coffin Shut With Endless Cynicism.

It's odd though cause that seems to have been going on in d'n'b for at least ten years. Three cheers for zombie d'n'b;)

DJ PIMP

I think in that case the ex-fans slating the new stuff fuels the producers still cranking out the tunes... helps solidify the siege mentality. And there's always a younger generation eager for harder/faster than house etc, so on and on it goes.

It is a bit interesting though, some of the much derided "skullstep" labels really play up that zombie type horror angle in their market positioning.

Certainly the numbed out gothno end of the electro spectrum has been some my favourite stuff for the past couple of years.

mms

sometimes
bringing it back to the original discussion, as online forums like dubstep forum collectivley act to 'own' genres in a way, rather than being an act they're act as a series of decisions about the genre within stringent parameters.

users can also apply ideas that any kind of dissent is trolling too, so one of the classic problems of online forums is turned quickly into a tool to make any less than positive contributors shut up.

Last edited:

optimum

Poochie
Yeah it's pretty piss poor these days, even the mods agree, think they're trying to remedy it somehow. I still play Blindfold by u Shonx btw ;)

Benny Bunter

Just read that interview with drummond at the Quietus. Not read the book, but does it actually have a coherent argument? All he does in the interview is keep repeating "recorded music has run its course" without ever giving a decent reason why it has. :slanted:

Tanadan

likes things
Just read that interview with drummond at the Quietus. Not read the book, but does it actually have a coherent argument? All he does in the interview is keep repeating "recorded music has run its course" without ever giving a decent reason why it has. :slanted:

Hehe, no it doesn't. I think either the statement resonates with you (the reader) or it doesn't - Drummond certainly doesn't try to justify it in any logical way, he simply states that he personally felt it to be true. He admits throughout that most of his writing is contradictory and realizes at the end that recorded music hasn't run its course. But he does maintain that the next jump for music will involve something further along than just recorded music.

Personally, though, does nobody else think that he doesn't seem to quite appreciate how dance music and djing, in the widest senses, work? I know the KLF were pioneers of chillout ambient acid dub randomness etc, but it seems to me that djing supercedes recorded music because djing uses records as tools with which to build a musical performance, with mcing, fx, mixing, etc to be added to them, rather than having recorded music as the endpoint of a performance.

he does offer some explanation- he claims the free online distribution of music has redefined what recorded music as it strips it of "visible value", renders it as a stream of invisible data. A strange argument to make, i thought reading the interview online, in a book, so I'm imaging there's more than that to it. As has been discussed elsewhere recently, people like calling time on things at the moment. The democratic "17" text score pieces are very similar to English systems music a la John White...i wonder if BD is a Cardew fan ;). Seems a little quaint for musical eschatology.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
he does offer some explanation- he claims the free online distribution of music has redefined what recorded music as it strips it of "visible value", renders it as a stream of invisible data. A strange argument to make, i thought reading the interview online, in a book, so I'm imaging there's more than that to it. As has been discussed elsewhere recently, people like calling time on things at the moment. The democratic "17" text score pieces are very similar to English systems music a la John White...i wonder if BD is a Cardew fan ;). Seems a little quaint for musical eschatology.

he discusses cardew, portsmouth symphonia etc in the book.

drummond doesn't do coherent arguments ('accept the contradictions'), but his ideas are always interesting

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I stole The Manual: How to Have a Number 1 the Easy Way from a bookshop in Norwich when I was a teenager....."
It came with a money-back guarantee if you failed to get a number one so surely there was no need to steal it.