Dalston/Hackney/Stokey news

mos dan

fact music
And there is a bye-election in stoke newington central shortly.

Predictions: the greens will fuck it up, nu lab win. Nusret Sen will provide the best manifesto and entertainment.

really? how do you mean? i spoke to someone running the green stall on stokey high st recently.. after 5mins we worked out i was too far south (i.e. in dalston) to vote anyway.

btw i'm gonna go check out the hackney archives on de beauvoir road one day soon, anyone been?

john eden

male pale and stale
really? how do you mean? i spoke to someone running the green stall on stokey high st recently.. after 5mins we worked out i was too far south (i.e. in dalston) to vote anyway.

btw i'm gonna go check out the hackney archives on de beauvoir road one day soon, anyone been?

Ha, my election prediction came true. :(

Did you get to the archive, Dan?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've shifted out from SN / Clissold Park / Green Lanes to halfway up Haringay now. Not sure what that move translates to in terms of social mobility...

john eden

male pale and stale
Stanhope Gardens from about 89-93. Good times.

Then above the carpet shop on Grand Parade around 95. Crap times. :D

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Chesterfield Gardens here - the one Disneys is on.

Keep meaning to suggest another meetup since I missed the last one. Put some faces to names etc...

mos dan

fact music
Ha, my election prediction came true. :(

Did you get to the archive, Dan?

nah, still not.. library fatigue from working most daytimes in the british library. i will do soon tho!

so, there was some big shoot-out or something in dalston this morning, apparently? i slept thru the whole thing.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
great news! such a good building! i remember going to a party there once about jeeez 10 years ago and they had massive speakers INSIDE the empty swimming pool! weren't they going to make it into Haggerstone High School at some point? (around the time they closed that huge school by Lower Clapton and started making all the kids mission to flippin Camden every day on the Silverlink)

john eden

male pale and stale
The pool was closed around 2000 when the Council nearly bankrupted itself cos of their housing benefit computer system which didn't work. (Same financial problems meant the wholesale flog off of properties on Broadway Market etc).

Haggerston Girls school is being turned into a academy (for boys and girls) - different issue.

Glad the pool is reopening - lots of hard work has gone into that by local people. Scandalous that it was closed in the first place (coupled with Clissold pool being out of action for years because of shit planning and contracts with architects).

Good to see that there is no mention of the mooted plan to include private flats in the redevelopment as well, hope that is solid.

john eden

male pale and stale
pawsonhkny.jpeg

http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2009/08/keeping-hackney-crap/

viktorvaughn

Interesting reading John (and depressing) linked on yr blog to the whole development / regeneration thing. Guess it make me a bit uneasy thinking that I am part of the phenomenon as a middle class outsider who has moved into the area and helped to inadvertently drive up rent and house prices but then I live round there cos i genuinely love it not cos i can't afford to live in Islington... Ho hum. And i do try and do most of shopping in all the local shops. That Dalston square thing sounds pretty monstrous.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well I think if people move here because they like it and are aware of these sort of processes then that's OK really - most people on this thread are probably in that category.

The difficulty is, as you say, people who move to Hackney and then try to turn it into Islington or the home counties or whatever. And then fuck off when they have kids because they are scared of the schools.

viktorvaughn

Well I think if people move here because they like it and are aware of these sort of processes then that's OK really - most people on this thread are probably in that category.

The difficulty is, as you say, people who move to Hackney and then try to turn it into Islington or the home counties or whatever. And then fuck off when they have kids because they are scared of the schools.

Yep I agree. The idea of trying to turn ridley rd market into some stupid gentrified market is so stupid and makes me feel a bit sick. Pipe sounds like bit of a cock and totally agree about the quality guy to be found around Stokey with the ten or so gold chains and badges.