Apparently Barack "isn't black"

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Sometimes, I swear, the internet just seems like a magnet for neuroses.

(Where exactly should this go? That's inappropriate! Don't be rude.)

Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries.

It's the internet, the only place where we can forget about boundaries if we want to. Let's!

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Christopher Hitchens doesn't believe in God. Yale Kramer thinks Christopher Hitchens is a dick. What does this have to do with what colour people think Barack Obama has? I mean, I don't particularly care but then I didn't post the link.

nomadthethird

Christopher Hitchens doesn't believe in God. Yale Kramer thinks Christopher Hitchens is a dick. What does this have to do with what colour people think Barack Obama has? I mean, I don't particularly care but then I didn't post the link.

I wasn't the one who started talking about Christopher Hitchens, though, was I?

jambo

No, OK. Oliver Craner mentioned Hitchens. I did ask a genuine question because I thought you may have intended that for the thread about atheism. Actually seems kind of relevant to that one.

jambo

It doesn't bother me, like I say I thought it was a genuine mistake. Feel better now?

I think threads should go where they go as well, as long as it's interesting. Some noises were made earlier about the direction of the thread, but not by me.

Hitchens does seem rather peripheral to this though, and that article is rather peripheral to his relevance in that it is just slagging off his book about atheism.

But let's find something interesting to talk about.

nomadthethird

Yeah I usually just skip over posts I don't find interesting or that seem irrelevant to me. That's my coping mechanism.

I feel great.

I'm watching a show on Discovery Health about the "orgasmtron" they're trying to use to teach women to have orgasms. I'm also drinking a diet pepsi.

Not relevant or interesting, though.

We could argue about whether race really exist some more?

craner

Beast of Burden
No, OK. Oliver Craner mentioned Hitchens.

It always happens. Like a surrogate father.

You were mentioning neurosis?

nomadthethird

No, OK. Oliver Craner mentioned Hitchens.

It always happens. Like a surrogate father.

You were mentioning neurosis?

I wasn't trying to blame, I was just pointing out that Christopher Hitchens came up, and I'd just read this thing I thought was funny about what a dick he is. I don't really know much about him. I would've thought it'd be hard to hate him that much.

I'm certifiably not neurotic, though I'm sure sometimes I get anxious.

waffle

Banned
You mean Wales is like Palin's Alaska, or Hitchens' 'inner mind'/back garden?

Absolutely, it's a great country. We even speak "Welsh".

I'm truly amazed and flabbergasted by such linguistic secessionist insights! Yes, and Kenyans speak "English" (when not trading in Swahili or when rock stars are not appropriating Maasai warriors to sell Product Red credit cards to chick-lit lovers) and Algerians speak "French".

Does this mean Obama will deliver his Inaugural Address in Swahili?

Be sure to continue enjoying all your "Welsh" versions of Richard Burton Hamlet monologues and Tom Jones records.

craner

Beast of Burden
Shit, this is like text messaging, but I'm not sure.

Are you 2 missing my humour or am I missing yours?

I actually like Hitchens.

And I'm Welsh but very against the Welsh language mafia crippling Welsh Industry, Media and the absurd Welsh "Assembly", but that's surely an argument for a different and, I should imagine, minority thread.

Now I sound very earnest.

jambo

_45162744_-2.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

craner

Beast of Burden
Saw it. A classic. In Swansea, my home town, no less. Interestingly, maybe non-coincidentaly, one of the least Welsh-speaking parts of the country. Which I'm not unhappy about. Swansea, and if you grew up there you'd know this, has a strong trans-Atlantic feel. Water a lot warmer than Pembroke, the Gower kids all think they're from Hawaii...

waffle

Banned
Completely Wildly Off Topic

At least they get half of it right!

famoussignpost2.jpg

In Ireland, as above, the confusion resulting from signage profusion and over-abundance, along with multi-lingualism featuring whimsical spelling (Britain's Royal Engineers in Ireland in 1833, while making the first Ordinance Survey, often asked the locals the Irish place names but struggled to spell them phonetically), have the added advantage of including distances in both miles and kilometres, which rarely correspond. This, though, was due to the advanced knowledge of the dedicated Signposters and their assistants, having been influenced by both De Selby's and Einstein's theories of space/time, designing, formulating and positioning many signposts on the scientifically correct assumption that there is no fixed reference point anywhere in the universe ("You want to go to Blarney? Well, I wouldn't start from here!"). Such far-sighted relativist ideas, permitting each signpost to offer multiple alternatives for the traveller, enables the tourist not only to be in two places at once, but crucially allows the lucky ones to get lost in both Irish and English.

john eden

male pale and stale
But Kenyans do not look the same as Ethiopians. Yet in the US, they would both be called "Black." Why? Not because of genetics...

All I'm really saying here is that there is no ethnic group "Black" - no more than there is an ethnic group "White."

Who is white seems prone to shift over time as well. For example southern europeans such as Italians didn't used to be considered white in some areas.

Has anyone read this:

The author was also involved with Race Traitor - a journal whose mission statement was to "abolish the white race".