akira rabelais

zhao

there are no accidents
ditto (what I've heard, anyway)

a friend has a funny anecdote about really wanting to meet him and ask him some questions after a show and when finally locating the man he was in the center of a crowded room of drinking and laughing people, sitting in a chair, head slouched forward, dead asleep. :) (no my friend did not wake him up)

missed dean roberts play with a bunch of improvisors last sunday... fucking loser that's what i am.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
sure there are degrees to uniqueness.
I assume woops was talking semantics / language use. Still, "very unique" is like "so true" and "very best" - none of these expressions make sense in terms of some kind of formal definition, but we all get it... a more pedantic way to say "very unique" would be "very distinctively unique".

Mention of Dean Roberts' 'All Cracked Medias' made me think of Polwechsel and the associated Viennese bods. Roberts, although a Kiwi, has been working with one of the Polwechsel bods and Brandlmayr from Radian / Kapital Band 1 / Trapist / etc. etc. under the name Autistic Daughters. They're more in a sort of quiet improv (with electronics) than anything like glitch, though. I'd be happy to list some suggestions.

Oh, did you ever hear any of the Sigma Editions stuff? Minit in particular? They had an album on Staubgold too, but the Sigma release was better. They did some great stuff. I thought of it because the label is run by two guys Dean Roberts was in a bad with back in the 90s. Parmentier, Rosy Parlane, it's all sorts of low-fi, sounds like it's on a 4-track home tapedeck, but also very of its time - turn of the century glitchiness that tend towards more emotional stuff.

straight

wings cru
i think Philip Jeck or William Baskinski's music is closer to these records than most mentioned in this thread. Eistrophobia doesn't really reference computers that directly at all. it seems to me he's concerned with a more organic kind of disintegration or decay, albeit in digital simulation. The new recording of The Sinking of The Titanic with Jeck is very good.
AR is an inspiring programmer, his website is great

heard the new disinformation recording of ..titanic being played at the stockhausen shenanigans at the southbank on friday, fantastic

zhao

there are no accidents
Polwechsel and the associated Viennese bods. Roberts, although a Kiwi, has been working with one of the Polwechsel bods and Brandlmayr from Radian / Kapital Band 1 / Trapist / etc. etc. under the name Autistic Daughters. They're more in a sort of quiet improv (with electronics) than anything like glitch, though. I'd be happy to list some suggestions.

Oh, did you ever hear any of the Sigma Editions stuff? Minit in particular? ... Parmentier, Rosy Parlane, it's all sorts of low-fi, sounds like it's on a 4-track home tapedeck, but also very of its time - turn of the century glitchiness that tend towards more emotional stuff.

those Pole Shifting Viennese make some terrific music. have not heard Autistic Daughters though, suggestions welcome.

i'm pretty sure i've heard Minit, but can't be sure. Rosy Parlane and the Type records ilk are often a bit too synth washy cute ambient... and "of its time" is prolly on the munny. amiable enough though.

to drive my point above home, there is just entirely WAY too fucking much of this stuff right now (and prolly any other kind of stuff). if you haven't seen this blog seems like they put up a hundred records a week in the drone/experimental/glitch/ambient vein...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
i'm pretty sure i've heard Minit, but can't be sure. Rosy Parlane and the Type records ilk are often a bit too synth washy cute ambient... and "of its time" is prolly on the munny. amiable enough though.
Parlane's older stuff isn't nearly so washy. Much more jarring / dirty sounding. He, the other guy who runs Sigma Editions and Dean Roberts were in a noisy, semi-improv "rock" band (lineup-wise) called Thela together in the early 90s and that history is much more evident, particularly on his older one, than on the stuff he's done on e.g. Touch.

The far-too-much thing is part of why I don't like MP3 blogs. Used to see it as a great avenue for buying up new things, but now I just see it as brain-numbing, over-saturating, etc. etc. The usual anti-proliferation-of-everything arguments you've all read a million times.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
those Pole Shifting Viennese make some terrific music. have not heard Autistic Daughters though, suggestions welcome.
I never replied to this bit, sorry. I should warn you it's vocal music - maybe rock music, in fact. So I was probably going miles away on a stylistic tangent just due to the people involved... ANYWAY they've done a whole two albums, this year's being the better of the two, IMO... it's called Uneasy Flowers. Points of comparison might be Gastr Del Sol, Sun (Oren Ambarchi & Chris Townsend's "pop" band), Hood, maybe The For Carnation. Actually one of Dean Roberts' solo albums pretty much sounds like a direct rip-off of the Hood material from when they had Matt Elliot / 3rd Eye Foundation producing them.

But, yeah. The more I think about it the more I've convinced myself that it's not the kind of thing anyone posting here gives much respect to. Ah well.