wonky

Amazing selection! perfect up loud with a smoke.

I'm loving Nosaj Thing - Bach, such a strange wee tune.

tom lea

yeah, that nosaj thing dude is amazing. his name puts me off because it sounds so anticon-y, but his remix on the flylo 12" on warp is brilliant.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
From the a feature on the best cracker jokes:

What do you call a three legged donkey?

A wonkey

i'll get me coat/cracker...

hint

party record with a siren
whats the track at 34 minutes on the flylo mix? absolutely killer.

The one that comes in about 34:34 is the acapella of Madvillain's "Accordion" over the track which it originally sampled: Daedelus - "Experience"

or do you mean the song with the fuzzy drum track?

In which case its an untitled song by a group called MHE who there isn't much about online. I just know they're a couple of dudes that are friends with FlyLo and Gaslamp etc.

Overcast Radio

circa70.org/versiontwo
I forgot how much I like this forum in general...gotta check in more often. Several DJ's have said my tracks are wonky...I wasn't sure why but have a better idea now. I think it's partially because my sounds are jazz/hip-hop influenced, and also stitched together almost influenced by visual art/collage/assemblage moreso than music. Ppl have also said it sounds distinctly American (re: jazz and abstract expressionistic) ...so I'll be wonky then!

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Listening to some bits yesterday it occurred to me that much of that late 90s A-Musik sound had parallels with the present wonky current. The music was similarly colourful and playful in contrast with the more austere and po-faced strains of 'tronica doing the rounds. Off kilter rhythms, grainy filtered textures, major keys, fluttering arps, abstract hip-hop and 2-step appropriations, dub etc.

Laurent

This is a bit old now (well, it's from earlier this year, but that's old in terms of the fast moving world of modern music, eh?), so it doesn't have any of the more recent classics on it (eg Rustie 'Zig-Zag' etc), but i think this is a great primer for the wonky sound:

http://www.lo-la.co.uk/2008/06/22/new-mix-wonk-fonk/

And some fucking sweet mixes going on in there too.

Thanks for linkin to the mix, it was meant as a snapshot of what has now come to be known as wonky around late 07/early 08 (plus some bits that are older) so glad to know ppl are finding it 'useful'.
As i said in the post tho wonky is a terrible genre name imho, the majority of all this stuff is just beats, it's hip hop. just like glitch hop and trip hop before it were hip hop. but when hip hop does things people aren't comfortable with it always seems to go a bit funny. This is something most artists I've spoken to have echoed, and let's face it, it's nothing new. as an adjective, maybe but as a genre name its just a bit wrong.
been plenty of good mixes and showcases of the new generation of beat makers this year, gilles peterson, Benji B, Alexander Nut on Rinse etc... interesting to see what comes out of it next year.

My mate Terry Keeley just done a mix that might interest a few people on this thread

Download/stream here

Tracklist:

1. Osborne - Our Definition of a breakdown (Feat. Ed DMX) (Spectral)
2. Daft Punk - Short Circuit (Virgin)
3. Flying Lotus - Parisian Goldfish (Warp)
4. Rustie - Patrick Ewing (Stuff)
5. Apparat - Holden (Modeselektor Remix) (Shitkatapult)
6. Milanese - Caramel Cognac (Planet Mu)
7. Dj Mujava - Township Funk (Warp)
8. Various Production - Lost (Actress Remix) (various Production)
9. Actress - Crushed (Werk)
10. Mr Oizo - Transexual (Ed Banger)
11. T-Polar - Starspangled (Acroplane)
12. Vlad & Ardisson - Sid Sonar (Seed)
13. Stacs of Stamina - Roll
14. Modeselektor - The Black Block (Rustie Remix)
15. Zomby - Kaliko (Hyperdub)
16. Rustie & Joker - Play Doe (Kapsize)
17. various Production - hater (Zomby Remix) (Various Production)
18. Zomby - Aquafresh (Hyperdub)
19. Millie & Andrea - Black Hammer (Daphne)
20. Scuba - Twitch (Jamie Vex'd Remix) (Hotflush)
21. Ghislain Porter - Blazin' (Modeselektor Remix)
22. Daedelus - Hrs:Mins:Secs (Ninja Tune)
23. Terry Keeley - SeeSaw
24. Kanji Kinetic - Shut up (Rag & Bone)
25. Starkey - Dark Alley (Planet Mu)
26. Kode 9 - 9 Samusai (Quarta 330 Remix) (Hyperdub)
27. Burial - Ghost Hardware (Hyperdub)
28. Actress - Again the Addiction (Werk)

gumdrops

is it just me or is that fly lo mix good but too 'smooth' at times. was it done live? a lot of deejay mixes leave me kinda cold these days. they seem to all be done digitally so theres none of that live feel to the mixing.

is it just me or is that fly lo mix good but too 'smooth' at times. was it done live? a lot of deejay mixes leave me kinda cold these days. they seem to all be done digitally so theres none of that live feel to the mixing.

I do agree it all seemed very pre-programmed except for the final third where there is definitely some live improv. The times I have seen FlyLo live he's been way more engaging than here, going crazy on the mpc and such. I do believe it was also his first real 'performance' since his mom died, if that could have anything to do with the show's ice-cold diginess.

But it does work well as a radio show, as I've gone out, found and bought a good deal of these tunes.

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah i saw him at plastic people - was a lot more impressed with that than this. he really knows how to build a set up with lots of tension. one of the best sets i saw this year.

Viral Radio

Flying Lotus played a marvellous live set at the Bimhuis last May. A certain Hudson Mohawke killed the place too. We like wonky, although as a foreigner I haven't the slightest idea what it means.

Chris

fractured oscillations

Nice to see Low End Theory get some attention there... they do have an exciting thing going. There's been something happening out here, first with the Jungle and Dubstep undergrounds merging (although L.A. Dubstep and L.A. DnB are basically the same people anyway), and then their collective scene cross-pollinating with the Glitchop/Left Field Hip Hop/Dublab crowds, and then in the last 4 or so years, with the whole open-ended, weird West Coast Psych thing. It's been really nice to see this positive fusion between so many cool styles again, as opposed to the usual splintering and isolation. That's not to say that everyone in these respective scenes are all branching out, but there has been this growing creative nexus. Which is an encouraging sign.