wonky

massrock

I think it's just that someone did it, Dilla, Sa-Ra, chiptunes people, and others thought it sounded good right now and as a counterbalance to whatever else was going on. Soft synths do mean that lots more people can make this music now than ever could before, of course.

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
slightly off topic, but I can't seem to find this info online... Does anyone know which booking agency has Flying Lotus on their roster (for european bookings)?

alex

Do not read this.
oh Wise, I love this ONE!!!...thanks for this, been kaning it recently, it goes together so well!!!! :p

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I'm not a big fan of Joker's mixing style, far too often he kills the vibe or energy of tracks by mixing them too heavily over one another (if you know what I mean). Really looked forward to his set at Sonar but came away a little disappointed. Martyn however..... :D

wise

bare BARE BONES
I'm with Cobretti on this one, thought Jokers set was disappointing.

Can anyone link me to the Martyn set, my copy has Dorian Concept & Joker then cuts off 3 tracks into Martyn.

Also what is wrong with the Sonar host who keeps shouting Oh my God! through a big reverb effect, what a wanker!:slanted:

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I'm with Cobretti on this one, thought Jokers set was disappointing.

Can anyone link me to the Martyn set, my copy has Dorian Concept & Joker then cuts off 3 tracks into Martyn.

Also what is wrong with the Sonar host who keeps shouting Oh my God! through a big reverb effect, what a wanker!:slanted:

Your 'Sonar host' is Gaslamp Killer. I think someone must have been feeding him the crazy Spanish ectos, he's not usually that annoying. He was doing that shit through all the MAH/1xtra sets.

Martyn set link - 20 minute 1xtra snippet. I've got another version a little over 40 mins, the sound isn't as good though.

ether

i don't really get gas lamp killer. i hear he's got mad battle dj skills, but he cant select for toffee. his sets always seem to have an unsatisfying jerky inconsistency to them, always seems like he's just trying to hard to be some frenetic spectacle.

jackmaster

time, space, transmat
I'm not a big fan of Joker's mixing style, far too often he kills the vibe or energy of tracks by mixing them too heavily over one another (if you know what I mean). Really looked forward to his set at Sonar but came away a little disappointed. Martyn however..... :D

I totally disagree. He's really come on leaps and bounds recently.

jackmaster

time, space, transmat
i don't really get gas lamp killer. i hear he's got mad battle dj skills, but he cant select for toffee. his sets always seem to have an unsatisfying jerky inconsistency to them, always seems like he's just trying to hard to be some frenetic spectacle.

He's a grade A douche bag. He just plays big obvious wobblers. If he didn't have famous pals or jump around behind the decks as much then no-one would pay any attention to him whatsoever.

mms

sometimes
He's a grade A douche bag. He just plays big obvious wobblers. If he didn't have famous pals or jump around behind the decks as much then no-one would pay any attention to him whatsoever.

he's made some excellent mixtapes in the past, real l.a. connect the dots between psychedelia then and now, but he's def got something of a californian hippy mascot about him.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I agree 100% about how annoying Gaslamp Killer is on mic for that set. Thankfull that he only pops up every now and then.
Interesting the responses to Joker's mixing though, personally I can't hear anything wrong with it. I suppose you could say that the way he mixes doesn't really add anything to the tunes, but it doesn't seem to detract from them either. But then I'm not really an expert on this.

ether

douche bag californian hippy mascots

CheechChong882.jpg