wonky

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
sounds a bit like prefuse.

Speaking of, with all of this instrumental hiphop/wonky bubbling up, it seems like he is on point for a come back. His new album just didn't do it but Extinguished: Outtakes and everything else before it was dope. His track with Mikah9 is still one of my all time favs.

On Joker's mixing style I almost feel like it's necessary just because he has SO MANY tunes to play. Although i do agree it can be a bit grating after awhile, not enough build up and all drops...like listening to a bunch of boomkat clips all edited to together...

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
Speaking of, with all of this instrumental hiphop/wonky bubbling up, it seems like he is on point for a come back. His new album just didn't do it but Extinguished: Outtakes and everything else before it was dope. His track with Mikah9 is still one of my all time favs.

the problem is extinguished: outtakes was released six years ago and he's been nothing but terrible since then. has put out plenty of music but it's all uniformly shite, hard to mount a comeback when you're strapped with pure mediocrity.

utter shame as those first three prefuse records are still total percy ingles, and without a doubt highly influential on wonky peeps like rustie et al - but he has totally lost it since then :(

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
the problem is extinguished: outtakes was released six years ago and he's been nothing but terrible since then. has put out plenty of music but it's all uniformly shite, hard to mount a comeback when you're strapped with pure mediocrity.

I don't think he is mediocre. He just spread himself a little thin: Prefuse 73, Piano Overlord, Delarosa & Asora, Savath & Savalas, etc. I reckon the dude has 1 maybe 2 good albums in there. Pity he didn't have a good enough filter.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
On the due for a comeback tip, I reckon Mr DIbbs could cash in big style on the FlyLo/Samiyam/Hudson Mo instru hip hop thing going on at the moment. Too bad he is stuck way in the past.

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
has push button objects been mentioned in this thread yet?

Wow, haven't heard that in ages. I have his LP on Chocolate floating around somewhere. Remember really digging it. Will have to dig it out again.

Lots of beat craft from about from about 10 years ago is definitely being revitalized at the moment. The Deep/er Concentration series on OM. Some of the stuff off Bomb records. Future Primitive... haha probably anything with a painting by doze for a cover.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He's a grade A douche bag.

Haha

Jokers a good DJ when he's not rinsing out identikit metallic wobblers. When he's playing his own tunes, Gemmy, Silkie, Rustie etc. he fucking smacks it. To be fair he probably smacks it with the wobblers for 90% of a crowd.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i like a bit of wobble in joker's sets but he overdoes it a bit.

So. Sa Ra's Shafiq Husain ft Fatima Lil Girl. TUNE. Good enough to make me build a mix around it if I didm't have a load of other things to do.

gumdrops

are you saying that after having heard them or making an assumption based on my statement?

your statement.

i liked that last p73 album though. was pretty donuts ish. that 'short unifinished unrefined' track aesthetic.

4NR

call me crazy, but wasn't the new Mount Kimbie Ep supposed to drop today?

bit disappointed to be honest...only track I really feel is "serged" and even then it sounds more or less as you'd imagine Scuba making hip hop

This has got to be my most anticipated dub of the moment, forthcoming on subway iirc...one of the best 'purple' tunes I've heard in a while. Gemmy played it out in Berlin, drove me mad.

edit: I should add that M.K.'s remix of "Velvet" was definitely on point, I just think they went a mood on the EP that I didn't find that interesting. I'm sure lots of people will love it.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Is this the right thread for Octa Push?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Might be, hadn't thought of them as wonky, more glitchy post ardkore. REALLY good live, banging and interesting at the same time.

And lovely people. Plus they're quite into some of my stuff.