4x4 Hell

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
4x4hell3.jpg

New mix of 2001-3 dark, heavy, ardkore 4×4 garage up here.

This one’s wicked - roots of grime and dubstep! It’s the counterpart to the 4×4 Heaven set I did a while back. Banging!

0:00 narrows - dreams 2003
4:12 harry lime - grouch 2001
6:22 narrows - dreams (morph remix) 2001
8.05 harry Lime - Terror Bass
11.03 sirus - junglist??
14:01 sirus - dj never seen 2002
15.20 harry lime - just a beat 2001
18.03 harry lime - go back 2002
21:15 notorious - acid attack
25:32 sirus - red and black 2001
28:46 more 2 da floor - skunk
29:20 harry lime - rubber bass
32:28 sirus - whiplash 2001
33:14 sirus - whiplash 2001 (reload)
37:21 dj faz - destiny 2001
39:32 osmosis - exodus
44:51 dj faz - believe 2001
48:16 notorious - acid attack
51:21 harry lime - terror bass mix 2
53:29 notorious - spin back
58:49 ends

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
you're a sick man, paul

nightmare of a tracklist. i'd have added maybe dj wire 'missing mind' and 'fire wire,' oddz 'gangsta' and charmzy 'laugh.'

nice one on the faz tracks. those are personal

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
wow don't know a single name on that list. my 3rd year at Dissensus Uni and i do value the ejumakashun

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Actually nomos, this is kind of a response to your mr bump blogariddims mix (zhao I recommend you check that out, as a "concept mix" it's even better). I was busy with babies when these tunes came out so I've been catching up over the last two or three years. So a response from you would be great! i'd have included the tunes you mention but I don't have them on vinyl.

John - I honestly think you'll love this! It's rrrrrrruuuuuffffffffffff.

this stuff, the social circles stuff, paug etc is all well worth a revival in the wake of the thematically rather similar uk funky stuff.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
John - I honestly think you'll love this! It's rrrrrrruuuuuffffffffffff.

this stuff, the social circles stuff, paug etc is all well worth a revival in the wake of the thematically rather similar uk funky stuff.

Yeah I am currently getting heavily into the 4x4 garage, both because of how well it mixes with funky and also as a logical extension of the 'that Garage malarky is quite good actually'
revelation that has hit many dubstep affectionados. Mainly been acquiring things at the slightly 'lighter' end of the spectrum I guess, Dem 2, Tuff Jam, RIP etc, but this looks great.
Only heard of Narrows on there! Time for some learning.

nomos

Administrator
i've been enjoying this :) and i'm kind of intrigued by how little our collections overlap.

interesting how despised some of this stuff is - maybe a parallel between this and dubstep's latter day wobblas. i was listening to superior on rinse a year or two a ago - a 2step set - and someone texted in for harry lime. his response was a haughty "Eh, no.. of course I don't have any Harry Lime," or something like that. i've heard similar things from others who belong firmly to the 2step-through-dubstep lineage.

i'll try to knock together a complimentary mix when my i/o box gets fixed.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i've been enjoying this :) and i'm kind of intrigued by how little our collections overlap.

interesting how despised some of this stuff is - maybe a parallel between this and dubstep's latter day wobblas. i was listening to superior on rinse a year or two a ago - a 2step set - and someone texted in for harry lime. his response was a haughty "Eh, no.. of course I don't have any Harry Lime," or something like that. i've heard similar things from others who belong firmly to the 2step-through-dubstep lineage.

Yeah, TBH that's how I felt about it for a long time. I remember when 2step died and 4 beat took over what wasn't MC-dominated proto-grime, and it was a sound track to coke-fuelled aggro in the clubs. I was living in Brixton and all the stories coming up from the raves in Streatham and down to Croydon was that it was all wannabe gangsters. Most of the 2step heads went off to house, I basically went off to reggae. I was still interested in the souljah / proto-hyperdub stuff, but the 4x4 stuff was just so clompy compared to the rhythmic beauty of 2step. And I wasn't sure about the grimey stuff either - I'd been such a 2step head that I couldn't forgive it for not being 2step. And I was too busy with babies to really get into it anyway.

In fact I didn't actually buy any of these records. I bought a vast job lot of garage from someone a few years back, most of which was A1, but there was all this ugly 4x4 stuff that I just ignored. Then a couple of years ago I used some of it to teach my (then) six year old how to mix and it slowly dawned on me how fantastic it was. So that's why our collections probably don't match up. And that's why I can understand the antipathy.

Benny Bunter

Enjoying the mix!

Funnily enough, I just bought this job lot of 4x4 garage off ebay for 30 quid. It was a bit of a whim cause I haven't heard most of this stuff before but hopefully I got a good deal. I know Narrows, RIP, Wideboys are good like...

CARMEN - SOVEREIGN
PALEFACE - SUPERWOMAN/SHAKEDOWN
GUSTO DISCOS REVENGE - DRAGON REMIXES
WYNN & SMITH - AINT LOVE
BLOWFELT - LICKLE ROLLA
SIRUS - DARK DOG
NARROWS - DREAMS
NARROWS - OVERTURE
NARROWS - LEGACY
NARROWS - IF THEY KNEW WHAT I KNOW
BEATFREAKS - TWELVES
GROOVE IN MOTION - ELECTRIC RUNNINGS/DISTORTION
CLUBLAND REFUGEES - ROCK DA FUNKY BEAT
FABULOUS BAKER BOYS - RUMOURS
D.B.X. - RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW
D.B.X. - GET U / FREAKIN
D.B.X. - FUNKY BEAT
G.O.D. Ltd 4 (NICE N RIPE)
ENTER THE TEKKEN EP
MESSIAH - LEO
WESLEY JAY - JAZZ THING
4TH GEAR - JUMP UP
RUFFCUT & JULIUS - SMELL SOME GREENS
WESLEY JAY - PROTOTYPE 4X4
SOULO - SWITCH
RIPLASH & SUS - TORTURED / STINKER
WEC - TURBO
WIDEBOYS - FEEDBACK
R.I.P. PRODUCTIONS - PAYBACK EP (ICE CREAM RECORDS) **ANTHEM ALERT!**
HAZARD - KILLAHERTZ - TREMOR
DANGEROUS DUBS VOL 2 - RIPPED IN 2 (MADE IN 2 MINUTES REMIX)
DJ SHORTY & BROWNIN - FRICTION
ANOTHERSIDE - THIS IS YOUR NIGHT (DnD)
STATE OF MIND - THIS IS IT (NU BIRTH REMIXES)
AGRO RECORDS 6 - CANDY SHOP REFIX
MAGIC CARPET RIDE - MIGHTY DUB KATZ (RIP GROOVES MIXES)
RIP PRODUCTIONS - CLUB TRAX VOL 1 - WORK IT/ON CLOUD 9 (ICE CREAM RECORDS)
CLUBLAND REFUGEES - ROCK DA FUNKY BEAT

No doubt there's a few stinkers in there but I can't wait for these to arrive in the post so I can mix em up. Anyone recognise any of this stuff? Did I do well? :slanted:

nomos

Administrator
SIRUS - DARK DOG
The "where my dogs at" sample is silly but it's catchy menacing garage - grimey synth stabs and the same bristling hats/snares as Harry Lime's Grouch (I think). The PAUG vocal from Destiny's in 2002 is classic.

NARROWS - IF THEY KNEW WHAT I KNOW
HUGE, suck-you-into-the-floor bassline in that one. From 2004 but one of his best.

DJ SHORTY & BROWNIN - FRICTION
Similar to Shorty's Road release but better. Was on Slimzee's famous megamix dubplate. Rough but jaunty.

nomos

Administrator
Yeah, TBH that's how I felt about it for a long time. I remember when 2step died and 4 beat took over what wasn't MC-dominated proto-grime, and it was a sound track to coke-fuelled aggro in the clubs...

... And that's why I can understand the antipathy.
Yeah I can sympathize with that. Had I been clued into 2step I'm sure I'd have had the same response (since that was basically my take on what went on in dubstep). Partly, it's nostalgic for me since it was amongst the first grimey stuff I heard and I was just fascinated by the ugly basslines and the swung beats with skittering hats. Also though, I was discovering it and 2step, forward, 8-bar, etc. all at the same time via Limewire which I think left me without much sense of the social divides that each sound represented, or even the time frames involved. It sort of flattened all the relationships for me and focused my attention how each was working that common garage core - the rhythmachine and all that. That's still my favourite way to mix - i.e. these tracks should go together even when they don't quite fit.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Enjoying the mix!
Glad you like it!

Lets see what you've got...

GUSTO DISCOS REVENGE - DRAGON REMIXES - what's like?

BLOWFELT - LICKLE ROLLA - TUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've wanted this for years, ever since I heard it on Roo's Dems Da Breakz CD.

NARROWS - DREAMS - Tune
NARROWS - OVERTURE - Tune
NARROWS - LEGACY - thought this was big$hot?

G.O.D. Ltd 4 (NICE N RIPE) - must be good on that label?

R.I.P. PRODUCTIONS - PAYBACK EP (ICE CREAM RECORDS) **ANTHEM ALERT!** - Ice Cream :)

MAGIC CARPET RIDE - MIGHTY DUB KATZ (RIP GROOVES MIXES) - I love this personally but it is a bit cheesey by most standards.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I was discovering it and 2step, forward, 8-bar, etc. all at the same time via Limewire which I think left me without much sense of the social divides that each sound represented, or even the time frames involved. It sort of flattened all the relationships for me and focused my attention how each was working that common garage core - the rhythmachine and all that.
That's such a different way of coming at it - it's really cool!

luka

nice some people remember harry lime. defiently one of the biggest influences on grime. not sure i enjoy the records though, as such!