balearic house

O

Omaar

Can someone clarify a niggling question I've had lurking in the back of mind for a while - while i appreciate what the balearic genre is, as discussed on this thread, I remember hearing talk of a specific 'balearic beat' at some point, which I remember being that beat that soul II soul,enigma etc used, like a fairly slow shuffly hip hop beat - is this correct or is my memory mental?

dominic

Beast of Burden
Omaar said:
Can someone clarify a niggling question I've had lurking in the back of mind for a while - while i appreciate what the balearic genre is, as discussed on this thread, I remember hearing talk of a specific 'balearic beat' at some point, which I remember being that beat that soul II soul,enigma etc used, like a fairly slow shuffly hip hop beat - is this correct or is my memory mental?

with the proviso that there's no consensus on whether balearic is a distinct genre or merely an eclectic ("inspired") approach to playing records, then yeah a lot of stuff that would be classified as balearic has a "fairly slow shuffly hip hop beat" ----- very well said!

but as to whether there actually is/was a term "balearic beat," i can't say