Wyclef Jean.

juliand

The story, told in Cheo Coker's "Unbelievable", of Puffy piecing together the beats for "Life After Death" with a huge team of producers--was it in Compass Point? or am I misremembering that?--is probably the best indication of his creative process: he's a curator vs. a "lone genius" like, say, Premier.

He's had at least a few great moments: he's responsible for throwing the beat from Audio Two's "Top Billin" beneath Mary J's "Real Love", thereby probably creating "hip hop soul"; and is the one responsible for recognizing Biggie's talent, and for getting him on the radio. And "All About the Benjamins", with its stutter-funk, reversed hats, and guitar string-drone, is killer. (Though he then had to go remix it with the Foo Fighters and Rob Zombie; yeeuurrgh).

B

be.jazz

A few days ago I woke up to the second half of Wyclef's duet with Mary J. Blige, "911," I think it's called. Awesome.

"And my body's growing *cold*", baby.

As for Puffy, I think that the only song heavily featuring him I can stand is "We Ain't Goin' Nowhere" or whatever it's called. That's great, and contains his single most honest and famous moment on record: "Don't worry about if I write rhymes: I write checks."

Last edited by a moderator:

Matos_W.K.

I like the rock remix of "Benjamins," and I believe Jay-Z is responsible for the "checks" line (as he allegedly ghostwrote most all of Diddy's rhymes on that album).

B

be.jazz

Matos_W.K. said:
I believe Jay-Z is responsible for the "checks" line (as he allegedly ghostwrote most all of Diddy's rhymes on that album).
That this sincerity would come via someone else only makes it better.