Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Apparently a myth, but one happily repeated by the two blokes (David and Stuart Wise of King Mob / BM Blob).

I was trying to remember that story - after a bit of digging, I tracked down the version that I knew from a George Robertson essay in a Situationism reader that Stuart Home edited, in a footnote explaining the split between the SI and the British Heatwave group:

At least three versions exist; according to Chris Gray, it was solely to do with tactical differences; the official IS version The Latest Exclusions (IS no. 12) lays the blame squarely on Black Mask activist Ben Morea. Vaneigem had visited America with the intention of developing contacts with potential members of a U.S. sections. Morea and Vaneigem obviously had a major disagreement, but each reported a conflicting version; the British did not automatically believe Vaneigem's account, and thus in the eyes of the SI were suspect. Gray, it is then discovered, had been 'complaining' that the British had not felt sufficiently appreciated and felt isolated and eventually became consciously obstructive, so they therefore had to go. Fred Vermorel's account Sex Pistols (Star, London 1978) pp.273-4, is funnier; Chris Gray it seems had boasted of at least 30 trained and combat hardened street-fighters awaiting his call to arms. Debord, on hearing this, rushed across the Channel to inspect the 'troops' only to find Dave and Stuart Wise well-equipped with cans of Export. The British section were then duly expelled for the heinous political crime of lying. All three accounts are probably true.

I love the idea of a journal article on "the latest exclusions" - puts modern chat about "cancel culture" into a bit of perspective.

catalog

It's like that Japanese game go. A simple tip to next space is all it takes. Hotel fascism is just around the corner from you.

william_kent

Have you ever played "Go"?

you should have asked me about "GO" this evening at the Great Northern Dissensus Meet Up , I've got bare stories

---- well, a couple, but yeah I've got a Go set, I've read this classic with my board at hand:

1676064891221.png

it's a great book, there's diagrams, you can set your board up and follow along, try and predict the next moves, but you won't beat the "master of go"

Last edited:

william_kent

trivia: even if you haven't heard of "Go" you've probably heard of "Atari'... sure you think of the video game company, but they were named after the life or death situation in a typical game of Go

Atari (当たり) is a term for a situation where a stone or group of stones has only one liberty and may be captured on the next move if unable to attain additional liberties. A group in such a situation is said to be in atari or under atari. Beginners often verbally call out "atari" in a manner similar to calling out "check" in chess, but it is considered inappropriate for more advanced players.

too drunk to explain what the above means, but lets's just say Go has had a major cultural impact

woops

is not like other people
trivia: even if you haven't heard of "Go" you've probably heard of "Atari'... sure you think of the video game company, but they were named after the life or death situation in a typical game of Go

too drunk to explain what the above means, but lets's just say Go has had a major cultural impact
also the name of a boredoms member

william_kent

any excuse to post an hour long plus Boredoms tune, I'm there:

Boredoms - Super Roots 5 - Go!!!!! (2006)

the psychedelic cosmic wave hit Japan tsunami HARD but only the real heads noticed ***

*** I'm extremely drunk and talking shit, but I suspect @woops might know what i'm on about

Last edited:

version

Reading Debord's memoir atm, Panegyric (Volumes 1 & 2). An arrogant nutter. In the intro he says nobody will ever have the audacity to challenge the history he puts forward, on even the smallest detail.

😂

dilbert1

@version I read it while a bit drunk at Dolores Park in San Francisco some years ago. The pomposity is certainly of epic (and in some ways enjoyable) proportions. This recent essay, while perhaps a bit fawning, goes some way in detailing his aristocratic pretensions. Some illuminating and genuinely hilarious stuff in there.

Attachments

• Ejr debord.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

craner

Beast of Burden
Reading Debord's memoir atm, Panegyric (Volumes 1 & 2). An arrogant nutter. In the intro he says nobody will ever have the audacity to challenge the history he puts forward, on even the smallest detail.

😂

It's a hilarious book

IdleRich

IdleRich
Go was the game in which it had always been impossible to make a computer any near top level players. But a year or so back a totally unknown player turned up to play on this website and completely took the piss out of the world's greatest player. The story was that it was believed to be someone testing an AI but I never saw the follow up to that story, anyone know what happened?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Go was the game in which it had always been impossible to make a computer any near top level players. But a year or so back a totally unknown player turned up to play on this website and completely took the piss out of the world's greatest player. The story was that it was believed to be someone testing an AI but I never saw the follow up to that story, anyone know what happened?
I thought AI surpassed everyone there a while ago, but I did also just hear someone talking about how, if you play in unconventional, pseudo-random ways, you may scramble the AI's approach.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seems you're right. I guess
I thought AI surpassed everyone there a while ago, but I did also just hear someone talking about how, if you play in unconventional, pseudo-random ways, you may scramble the AI's approach.

Seems you're right... I guess when you're my age 2016 feels like last year. Fuck.

version

The best bit's been when he talks about staying out in the wilderness with his wife, watching storms. The drinking bit Craner posted earlier in the thread's great too.