What are you writing?

craner

Beast of Burden
Recently told by somebody who works in production at the BBC that they are desperate for original scripts -- especially for Dr. Who. This inside info was not much use to me as writing scripts for Dr. Who is far outside my capabilities, but as for you lot...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A new part of a new 3-part story!

Here you go - it's called (yeah, yeah) 'The Dulwich Horror' after an experience I had there recently with another Dissensus regular. It's an attempt to synthesise psychedelia, Lovecraft, local London folklore, psychogeography and all that pretentious twaddle I love so much. Here goes, anyway:

(Edit: sorry, it's incredibly egotistical to go pasting huge swathes of writing into a page here when any interested reader could just go to the blog in my sig, so please do so if it pleases you. Note that the part order may be a bit cocked up. Comment welcome, as usual. Thanks.)

Last edited:

you

sort of writing some weird things here I'd be interested in getting some feedback for the sound piece poem, the poems and also the auto-text

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How long does a short story have to be before it starts to be a novella? I've racked up about 9k words so far and I haven't even got to the 'good' bit yet.

slowtrain

How long does a short story have to be before it starts to be a novella? I've racked up about 9k words so far and I haven't even got to the 'good' bit yet.

I think when it can be printed as its own little thing, as opposed to being collected with other stories.

craner

Beast of Burden
40,000 words is about the minimum if you expect it to get published on its own, although that would be pushing it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've forgotten how to write. It takes me hours to work out how to write an opening and hours to disentangle paragraphs, and then I keep grasping all the wrong words and having lexographic fits like Flaubert. It's a shame, because I've realised recently that the only thing I really, really need to do in my life, the only thing that really helps me make sense of things or mitigates the other acres of misery, the only real, actual medication I have, is writing. And I can't do it!

faustus

I've forgotten how to write. It takes me hours to work out how to write an opening and hours to disentangle paragraphs, and then I keep grasping all the wrong words and having lexographic fits like Flaubert. It's a shame, because I've realised recently that the only thing I really, really need to do in my life, the only thing that really helps me make sense of things or mitigates the other acres of misery, the only real, actual medication I have, is writing. And I can't do it!

To be honest (and this is just me), I find I get very preoccupied with the form and the exact wordings of sentences when I'm not really happy with the subject matter. Sometimes I can force myself through. But when I get the subject matter right (what's happening, where it's happening), when that feels right at least, then I tend to forget about the intricacies of the words. This may have no bearing on what you said, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think that's true, although I'm also in the position of having some dynamite subject matter, and feeling unable to do it justice. I'm struggling with tone, most of all.

craner

Beast of Burden
And the other great difficulty is motivation. I'm not pure at all; I'm more productive writing for an audience I'm aware exists, or cares one way or the other, and even more so if there is some other motivating factor, like lust or money. That's largely why I'm drawn to the corrupt, interventionist, exhibitionist world of journalism and magazines, and why I have no energy or will to produce poems or extended works of fiction. I could probably aspire to Truman Capote-style fragments, at best -- and I would be very happy with that, certainly. I am full of good ideas at the moment, and a yearning to act on them -- but that actual act is difficult, and then a failure. It's frustrating actually. I might force some things out, whether I'm happy with them or not, and see what I have produced at the end of the year.

slowtrain

Yeah I get the same problem - terrified of writing because i'm afraid that when i sit down to do some it'll be shite.

I found this interview with Fran Lebowitz a joy to read on that front though.

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/1931/a-humorist-at-work-fran-lebowitz

I completely (well, largely) agree with her, and it is really good to get a perspective on how someone else approaches their work.

I used to love to write. ... It turns out it’s not that I hate to write. I hate, simply, to work. I just hate to work, period. I am profoundly slothful. Practically inert. I have no energy. I never have. I just have no desire to be productive.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible

I hear you, loud and clear. Although I find music to be good medication too. Such is the struggle, as always has been and always will be, unless you're writing by formula that's a proven success.

I was reading about Georges Simonen the other day - he knocked out hundreds of novels, by formula, yet was capable of great things too. Mickey Spillaine, another knock 'em out merchant. But the pulp boys were that kind of breed.

I gave up trying to write a 'proper' novel a couple of years ago, not only because of what I perceived to be my 'failings', but through complete disillusionment with the standard form. Even 'bad' novels take so much energy and determination to finish - as Lawrence Block said, any fool can write a poem, but it takes a special kind of fool to write a novel.

Perhaps it the post-modern dilemma...if you're an adventurous spirit, writing in order to reach a special place, you're burdened by the 'anxiety of influence' and damned to eternal frustration. But if you feel the desire, you've got to keep on trying anyway.

luka

CRANER IS SPECIAL, HE IS NOT LIK ANY OF YOU. HE CAN WRITE PROPERLY. HOWEVER, FACT-TWO TYPE OF WRITER
TYPE 1-VIRILE
TYPE 2-NEUROTIC
CRANER TYPE 2 WRITER