LIVE electronic music?

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
bernhard parmagenmi at atp fest

200 ish people watched an empty stage.
This was big. Yasunao Tone was off the hook as well, if that was the same year. Parmegiani was in the middle at the mixing desk wasn't he?

Goodiepal is a loon! There's a video of him demonstarting all that stuff on some TV show and the presenters are just enchanted and baffled.

Mouse On Mars at Dingwalls around the time of Autoditacker remains one of the best gigs I can remember.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
There seems to be a slightly rockist assumption by some venues/promoters that laptop sets are in some way superior to DJing - i.e. laptops on the stage, rekkids in the booth. I object to that.
Ooh yes, that's irritating. And you get the thing where everyone stops dancing and starts craning their necks to see someone clicking a mouse because hey, this isn't just a DJ set, this is a performance.

There are live sets that are good to watch as a performance and live sets that are good to dance to as a soundtrack and DJ sets that are good to watch as a performance and DJ sets that are good to dance to as a soundtrack, and they're all fine but it can be kind of rubbish when you come across one in an environment that's set up for another.

nochexxx

harco pronting
This was big. Yasunao Tone was off the hook as well, if that was the same year. Parmegiani was in the middle at the mixing desk wasn't he?

i felt like such a smart ass that day cause i was one of the few people facing the desk.

and yeah yasunao tone was great.

and if i remember correctly farmers manual played that year. cluster of po-faced laptop'ers all facing different directions . they looked like graphic designers in the office :D

in fact after thinking about that festival some more, zeni geva blew me away! although that may have been the year before..

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Florian Hecker talked a bit about his book before his set!

That was a good festival though, the only time I've really enjoyed ATP actually because despite all the nerdery it felt like a rave and there were DJs all night in the main spaces.

What about Coil? They were relatively low key at that but they made quite an effort with stuff at the South Bank shows.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
unfortunately, that often means sitting on the floor, which is uncomfortable.

not fucking up my back/knees/whatever is more important than visual stimulus at my age.

that's just a plea for better venues though

a nice pub will do fine for me :)

Viral Radio

Dimlite is interesting live, so is Dorian Concept supposedly. Alog make a killer performance, as do Philip Jeck and Pierre Bastien, who technically make electronic music but are not laptop artists. Icarus make pure laptop music, but I don't mind that on stage. Flying Lotus uses the Monome like Daedelus, which works quite well. Mike Slott and Hudson Mohawke both sneak behind their laptops, but both their concerts last year at the Bimhuis were mindboggling. Ollie Bown of Icarus spoke about his performance of being a director or conductor, making sure all parts work together.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Alog make a killer performance

I love Alog to bits, what do they do when they perform?

Mike Slott and Hudson Mohawke both sneak behind their laptops, but both their concerts last year at the Bimhuis were mindboggling.
I saw Hudson Mohawke and Harmonic 313 do live sets a month or so back and both of them looked the same as if they'd been DJing.

I didn't enjoy their sets much, but then I'm not a fan of either. Hudson Mohawke did drop a nice 80s soul number towards the end of his set and some early Sly & The Family Stone, both of which are much more my thing.

DJ PIMP

I liked Hudmo's set that night. Didn't set my world aflame, but as far as a DJ dropping a range of music and keeping things ticking over and so on, he was very good.